IMEI blocked

Old August 23rd 04, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Steve

Default IMEI blocked

I Bought a Mobile handset via ebay a month or so ago which has
stopped working recently. O2 tell me that the IMEI number has been
blocked what they won't tell me is who has applied the block or why.
The IMEI on the phone, the box and displayed on the phone all match
so I'm reasonably sure its not been cloned.

I have the sellers details so if the phone has been reported stolen
I want to report it to the police but since I don't know why the
phone is blocked I'm a bit hesitant to contact them.

What annoys me is that O2 won't tell me who blocked the IMEI. At
first O2 claimed that they couldn't tell me but finally (after some
shouting) they said they *wouldn't* tell me. I understand that the
handset is not O2's problem but the way I see it their network is
applying the bar to the handset based on data from an IMEI database?
How do O2 know the IMEI data is correct If an IMEI has been blocked
then surly I should be able to find out who applied the bar so I can
discuss it with them.

Out of interest can anyone tell me how the IME block is applied? I
imagine there is a central database that the service providers
subscribe and they can apply a bar to their IMEIs? I expect that
when the phone is used the IMEI number is forwarded and if the IMEI
is in the blocked database the network provider applies the bar? Is
an IMEI "owned" by a service provider? Who has the right to apply a
bar to a particular IMEI?

Steve
Old August 23rd 04, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Richard Colton

"Steve" wrote in message
m...
I Bought a Mobile handset via ebay a month or so ago - which has
stopped working recently. O2 tell me that the IMEI number has been
blocked - what they won't tell me is who has applied the block or why.
The IMEI on the phone, the box and displayed on the phone all match -
so I'm reasonably sure its not been cloned.

It'll have been reported lost or stolen so that someone can make a
fraudulant insurance claim against it. Report it to the Police (for all the
good it'll do). I'd be interested in knowing who the seller is if you're
feeling that way inclined - idiots like this are what gives eBay a bad name
for those of us that sell phones legitimately through eBay.

I have the sellers details - so if the phone has been reported stolen
I want to report it to the police - but since I don't know why the
phone is blocked I'm a bit hesitant to contact them.

Go for it. Alternatively, try contacting the seller and insist on a refund
(and if they're local pay them a visit).

What annoys me is that O2 won't tell me who blocked the IMEI. At
first O2 claimed that they couldn't tell me - but finally (after some
shouting) they said they *wouldn't* tell me. I understand that the
handset is not O2's problem - but the way I see it their network is
applying the bar to the handset based on data from an IMEI database?
How do O2 know the IMEI data is correct - If an IMEI has been blocked
then surly I should be able to find out who applied the bar so I can
discuss it with them.

I don't think O2 would legally be able to tell you who blocked the phone
(DPA etc), but when one is blocked the IMEI appears on the CEIR blacklist so
that it's rendered useless in any country that subscribes to that list.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.uselessinfo.org.uk

Old August 23rd 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Mark Carver

Steve wrote:

Out of interest can anyone tell me how the IME block is applied? I
imagine there is a central database that the service providers
subscribe - and they can apply a bar to their IMEIs? I expect that
when the phone is used the IMEI number is forwarded - and if the IMEI
is in the blocked database the network provider applies the bar? Is
an IMEI "owned" by a service provider? Who has the right to apply a
bar to a particular IMEI?

Also what (if any) safeguards are there for 'typos' in entering the data ?
Is there a parity check with the make and model of the phone ?

Old August 23rd 04, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
SteveH

Mark Carver wrote:

Steve wrote:

Out of interest can anyone tell me how the IME block is applied? I
imagine there is a central database that the service providers
subscribe - and they can apply a bar to their IMEIs? I expect that
when the phone is used the IMEI number is forwarded - and if the IMEI
is in the blocked database the network provider applies the bar? Is
an IMEI "owned" by a service provider? Who has the right to apply a
bar to a particular IMEI?

Also what (if any) safeguards are there for 'typos' in entering the data ?
Is there a parity check with the make and model of the phone ?

I believe that, as for barcodes, there's at least one check digit at the
end of the code.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old August 23rd 04, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
michael turner

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:11:43 -0700, Steve wrote:

I Bought a Mobile handset via ebay a month or so ago which has
stopped working recently.

There's a lot of it about...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...le&btnG=Search
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=eb...&start=20&sa=N
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=eb...&start=20&sa=N

O2 tell me that the IMEI number has been blocked what they won't tell
me is who has applied the block or why.

At a guess, Data Protection Act, 1998

The IMEI on the phone, the box and displayed on the phone all match
so I'm reasonably sure its not been cloned.

Maybe an insurance scam... Person reports phone stolen, get's IMEI
blocked, sells it on Ebay, insurance pays out.

[...]

Yup.

I expect that when the phone
is used the IMEI number is forwarded and if the IMEI is in the
blocked database the network provider applies the bar?

Yup.

Is an IMEI
"owned" by a service provider?

Nope.

Who has the right to apply a bar to a
particular IMEI?

The original owner reports the phone stolen or lost, and the service
providers blacklist it's IMEI.

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

Old August 23rd 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
mutley

"Steve" wrote in message
m...
I Bought a Mobile handset via ebay a month or so ago - which has
stopped working recently. O2 tell me that the IMEI number has been
blocked - what they won't tell me is who has applied the block or why.
The IMEI on the phone, the box and displayed on the phone all match -
so I'm reasonably sure its not been cloned.

SNIP

You don'y get this from someone on eBay by any chance?!

--
Please reply to this group. Email removed due to Virus attacks

Old August 23rd 04, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
mutley

"mutley" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
m...
I Bought a Mobile handset via ebay a month or so ago - which has
stopped working recently. O2 tell me that the IMEI number has been
blocked - what they won't tell me is who has applied the block or why.
The IMEI on the phone, the box and displayed on the phone all match -
so I'm reasonably sure its not been cloned.

SNIP

You don'y get this from someone on eBay by any chance?!

Just notiched my typo! didn't instead of don'y! - Doh!

--
Please reply to this group. Email removed due to Virus attacks

Old August 23rd 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Ian Stirling

Steve wrote:
I Bought a Mobile handset via ebay a month or so ago ? which has

A month or so?
Under a month, if paid by paypal, go through paypal, "item not
as described"...
Investigate the original auction, were there any "protection plan"
stickers on it offering you extra coverage from ebay.
Over a month, if funded by credit card, dispute the charge.

Old August 23rd 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:01:26 +0000 (UTC), "mutley"
wrote:

I Bought a Mobile handset via ebay a month or so ago - which has
stopped working recently. O2 tell me that the IMEI number has been
blocked - what they won't tell me is who has applied the block or why.
The IMEI on the phone, the box and displayed on the phone all match -
so I'm reasonably sure its not been cloned.

SNIP

You don'y get this from someone on eBay by any chance?!

Just notiched my typo! didn't instead of don'y! - Doh!

Is eBay different from ebay?

--
Hiram Hackenbacker