Cheapest Way To Use Orange Phone In Spain??

Old August 7th 03, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
MR

Default Cheapest Way To Use Orange Phone In Spain??

Hi there,

Over the next few months I will be visiting Spain a number of times
and need to find out the cheapest way of using my Orange mobile phone
whilst in Spain. I know that Orange rates are very expensive and
would value any comments as to a cheaper way of making outgoing calls
using my Orange handset.

(OH - one comment is that I am not near any landlines or a callbox so
this eliminates using these if they are a cheaper option.)

Many thanks,
Mark
Old August 7th 03, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Dan

MR wrote:
Over the next few months I will be visiting Spain a number of times
and need to find out the cheapest way of using my Orange mobile phone
whilst in Spain. I know that Orange rates are very expensive and
would value any comments as to a cheaper way of making outgoing calls
using my Orange handset.

(OH - one comment is that I am not near any landlines or a callbox so
this eliminates using these if they are a cheaper option.)

- Unlock it and use a Spanish PAYG SIM (Vodafone are cheapest for
calling back to the UK). If you are in the middle of nowhere then
Vodafone or Movistar are about equal in coverage, forget Amena.

- Use a calling card with a freephone access number which you shouldn't
be charged for unless you're on PAYG.

Old August 7th 03, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
David Horne

Dan wrote:

Cheeky wrote:
I did - but it was a while ago. They did the same to me in Hong Kong
and I was charged 130p/minute (v expensive!). They told me that
freecall numbers were free "unless I heard a message telling me
otherwise". I got all the money back without having to resort to Exec
Office, letters etc....

Call them up and ask them in advance. Record the call

There's no way you should get charged for calling a freephone access
number on the back of a Spanish calling card that's marked for mobile
use from a Spanish mobile (PAYG or contract) as you pay with an extra
per minute cost taken off the calling card.

Where does Orange state this anywhere in their T&C's or on the website.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old August 7th 03, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
David Horne

Dan wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Dan wrote:
There's no way you should get charged for calling a freephone access
number on the back of a Spanish calling card that's marked for mobile
use from a Spanish mobile (PAYG or contract) as you pay with an extra
per minute cost taken off the calling card.

Where does Orange state this anywhere in their T&C's or on the website.

It's how everything is geared up to work in Spain.

It doesn't matter how things work in Spain, and whether or not they have
freephone. If they pass the charge to Orange, and Orange bills you,
where does it say anywhere they can't?

David

Old August 8th 03, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Dan

David Horne wrote:
It doesn't matter how things work in Spain, and whether or not they have
freephone. If they pass the charge to Orange, and Orange bills you,
where does it say anywhere they can't?

If the network tells Orange you made a call, the amount they charge
Orange for that call is incorrect (i.e. it's not nothing), and Orange
simplify it to 70p/min, it's a billing error between the network and
Orange. Orange should refund you then sort it out with the network.

If the network tells Orange you made a call, the amount they charge
Orange for that call is nothing, and Orange simplify it to 70p/min, it's
a billing error between Orange and you. Orange should refund you.

If you want to cover everything then you could ask a tubby and if you
like the answer get them to note it on your account before you go.

If it is that network's policy to charge you for a call while roaming
that would normally be free for all their non-roaming customers then
Orange should seek confirmation and warn you on the web page for
information about that country.

(By the way, if anyone has got any roaming T&Cs then I'd like to read
them because I don't have any on paper and the website doesn't appear
have any.)

Old August 8th 03, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry

"Dan" wrote in message
David Horne wrote:
Dan wrote:
There's no way you should get charged for calling a freephone access
number on the back of a Spanish calling card that's marked for mobile
use from a Spanish mobile (PAYG or contract) as you pay with an extra
per minute cost taken off the calling card.

Where does Orange state this anywhere in their T&C's or on the website.

It's how everything is geared up to work in Spain.

People, please send copies of your Orange roaming charges to Neil at:
Iamroaming http://www.gsmroaming.co.uk
So he can keep it up to date.

Particularly any freephone CC experiments across the Spanish mobile networks.

It used to be simple, all the Spanish networks had freephone
that worked with local and roaming contract phones ;-(

Steve Terry

Old July 12th 11, 12:15 PM
mahesw mahesw is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR View Post
Hi there,

Over the next few months I will be visiting Spain a number of times
and need to find out the cheapest way of using my Orange mobile phone
whilst in Spain. I know that Orange rates are very expensive and
would value any comments as to a cheaper way of making outgoing calls
using my Orange handset.

(OH - one comment is that I am not near any landlines or a callbox so
this eliminates using these if they are a cheaper option.)

Many thanks,
Mark
Hi,you can unlock your mobile to use it when you travel to other countries..i suggest you to unlock your mobile by unlock codes and dont try with any other way like software/hardware unlocking..because there will be data lose..once i tried and got unlock code for my mobile from prounlocking and unlocked my mobile..you can too try getting codes from them and can unlock your mobile...