can I email a tesco mobile phone?

Old June 10th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
towhee2

Default can I email a tesco mobile phone?

My mother has a pay as you go phone on the tesco network. She says it
mentions you can text a message to an email address but can't work out
how to use it. Is there some way to find out the email address of her
mobile phone so that I can email her phone and she'll see it as a text
message?

Old June 10th 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Ivor Jones

"towhee2" wrote in message
ups.com
My mother has a pay as you go phone on the tesco network.
She says it mentions you can text a message to an email
address but can't work out how to use it. Is there some
way to find out the email address of her mobile phone so
that I can email her phone and she'll see it as a text
message?

I'm not sure what you're trying to do - do you want to send an SMS and
have it arrive as an email somewhere..? Or is it the other way round, you
want to send an email and have it arrive as an SMS on someone's phone..?

If the former, there are a few gateways around, the one I use is M-Mail
and is free, it can be found he
http://www.connectotel.com/sms/mmail.html

If you want to send an email and have it arrive as an SMS on a phone, it's
a little more complicated. I don't know about the Tesco system
specifically (if you find out, let me know as I have one also) but there
are a few email to SMS gateways. AFAIK none are free, however.

http://www.hairydog.clara.net/sms.html is a good place to start, but
google "email to sms" for a whole list.

Ivor

Old June 10th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Ivor Jones

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[snip]

http://www.hairydog.clara.net/sms.html is a good place to
start, but google "email to sms" for a whole list.

Oops just realised that link is way out of date, but it does give some
useful pointers.

Ivor

Old June 10th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Ian C

"towhee2" wrote in message
ups.com...
My mother has a pay as you go phone on the tesco network. She says it
mentions you can text a message to an email address but can't work out
how to use it. Is there some way to find out the email address of her
mobile phone so that I can email her phone and she'll see it as a text
message?

Phones have phone numbers, not email addresses. It would be easier for you
to contact tesco. You can email her to an address she sets up, then she can
access it via the internet. I would just use the text as trying to explain
that might be difficult and the cost horrific. Tesco is not as cheap as
Virgin to use!

Old June 10th 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Ivor Jones

"Ian C" wrote in message

"towhee2" wrote in message
ups.com...
My mother has a pay as you go phone on the tesco
network. She says it mentions you can text a message
to an email address but can't work out how to use it. Is there some
way to find out the email address of her
mobile phone so that I can email her phone and she'll
see it as a text message?

Phones have phone numbers, not email addresses. It would
be easier for you to contact tesco. You can email her to
an address she sets up, then she can access it via the
internet. I would just use the text as trying to explain
that might be difficult and the cost horrific. Tesco is
not as cheap as Virgin to use!

It is possible with some networks (not sure which) to email in the form
or whatever and it will work, but not sure if
Tesco is one of them.

As I said there are gateways, but not free ones.

Ivor

Old June 10th 06, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
towhee2

To clarify, I want to send email (from a regular email address on my
pc) and have the message appear on my mother's mobile phone as a text
message. She doesn't have internet access so I can't create an email
address for her, and I can't text her from my own mobile as it's a US
phone (and US networks, or at least the one I'm on, aren't compatible
with the rest of the world).

Ivor, that's what I was wondering - whether I could use
or something similar to that (in fact I've sent an
email like that and it hasn't said it's bounced yet, but she hasn't
received it either). She says her phone can send email so I would have
thought it has an email address of it's own.

Old June 10th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Matt Wheeler

"towhee2" wrote in message
oups.com...
To clarify, I want to send email (from a regular email address on my
pc) and have the message appear on my mother's mobile phone as a
text
message. She doesn't have internet access so I can't create an
email
address for her, and I can't text her from my own mobile as it's a
US
phone (and US networks, or at least the one I'm on, aren't
compatible
with the rest of the world).

This could be what you are looking for.

http://www.fastsms.co.uk/email2sms/index.html

Old June 10th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Matt Wheeler:
oups.com...

www.voipstunt.com send text messages for ?0.05 per message.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For airtime bonus contact via:

Old June 10th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:35:47 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Oops just realised that link is way out of date, but it does give some
useful pointers.

I know. There are plans to update the whole site, but paid-for work
has to take priority.

--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
Old June 10th 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Marc

Ian C wrote:
Phones have phone numbers, not email addresses.

Phone's don't have numbers assigned to them, SIM cards do.

Many operators provide ways to communicate over email, via text. Some
smart phones even have an email client built in.

Hope this helps

Marc