Virgin - lost phone, can I get new SIM with old number..?

Old April 13th 08, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Ivor Jones[_2_]

Default Virgin - lost phone, can I get new SIM with old number..?

Grumble moan lost one of my trusty 6310i's with Virgin SIM in it on the
bus yesterday, rang them up and got the SIM barred and (hopefully) the
IMEI of the phone blocked as well.

Girl on other end of phone says she will send me out a new SIM with
existing number on it, I say I have a spare Virgin SIM around somewhere,
can I use that and get the number moved over to it..? She says yes so I
say I will call back when I dig out the spare SIM.

Half an hour later I call back having found the SIM and ask for my number
to be ported over to my spare SIM. I am now told this cannot be done and I
will have to wait several days for a replacement SIM to arrive.

As this particular number is the one I use for work (chose Virgin because
of free voicemail retrieval) I don't really want it to be off for too
long, so which is true..? Can I or can I not get an existing number moved
to another SIM once the original has been blocked..?

Ivor

Old April 13th 08, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry[_2_]

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

Can I or can I not get an existing number moved
to another SIM once the original has been blocked..?
Ivor

Yes you can, but it might be against the networks policy or procedures

Sounds like Virgins procedure is to send out a new sim

Steve Terry

Old April 13th 08, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Ivor Jones[_2_]

Steve Terry wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

Can I or can I not get an existing number moved
to another SIM once the original has been blocked..?
Ivor

Yes you can, but it might be against the networks policy or procedures

Sounds like Virgins procedure is to send out a new sim

Steve Terry

Hmm, bit of a pain, then. I can't get the boss to give me a company phone,
so this is the only way I can keep my work calls and personal calls
separate. The most annoying thing is that I have several numbers stored in
the 6310i that aren't recorded elsewhere.

Ivor

Old April 13th 08, 04:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 00:27:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

[...]

When I lost my phone with a Virgin SIM in it, Virgin sent out the
replacement SIM almost immediately and it arrived with a couple of
days. Even if you could get them to agree to port the number to
another SIM it would probably take just as long, so you might as well
just wait.

Chris
Old April 13th 08, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
J B[_2_]

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

The most annoying thing is that I have several numbers stored in
the 6310i that aren't recorded elsewhere.

Tut tut - didn't your mother tell you to always back up your numbers?

;-)

--
J B

Old April 13th 08, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Ivor Jones[_2_]

J B wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

The most annoying thing is that I have several numbers stored in
the 6310i that aren't recorded elsewhere.

Tut tut - didn't your mother tell you to always back up your numbers?

;-)

I usually do back them up to the laptop with Logomanager, but haven't done
so recently, my own fault. Oh well you live and learn (usually the hard
way..!)

Ivor

Old April 14th 08, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Woby Tide

wrote:

[...]

Chris- Hide quoted text -

Likewise, my missus lost hers one Friday afternoon, rang up at 5:30PM
to report it lost, they offered her discount on new phone whilst she
was doing it as hadn't used her upgrade bonus, new phone and SIM
arrived at 09:00AM the next day(Saturday aswell). Never seen such good
service from a mobile operator to be honest.
Old April 15th 08, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Thunderbug[_2_]

Ivor Jones wrote:
Hmm, bit of a pain, then. I can't get the boss to give me a company phone,
so this is the only way I can keep my work calls and personal calls
separate. The most annoying thing is that I have several numbers stored in
the 6310i that aren't recorded elsewhere.

If you called or sent them text messages, won't they be on your bill?
Pretty easy to download itemised PDFs from Virgin's site.