Cancel Contract in 14 Days

Old October 28th 03, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Craig Rider

Default Cancel Contract in 14 Days

Hello,

I was in the Link yesterday getting a new contract and phone and was a
bit suprised when one of the staff told me I couldn't cancel the
contract once it was signed. I was under the impression that you had 14
days to cancel a credit agreement but the sales guy insisted that "T
mobile don't let us send phones back".

He rambled for a bit then changed his mind to say that because I was
porting a number from another network that was why I couldn't change my
mind once everything was signed.

Is he right?

cheers.

(Also posted to uk.legal)

Old October 28th 03, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
^^artnada^^

Craig Rider wrote:
|| Hello,
|| I was in the Link yesterday getting a new contract and phone and was a
|| bit suprised when one of the staff told me I couldn't cancel the
|| contract once it was signed. I was under the impression that you had 14
|| days to cancel a credit agreement but the sales guy insisted that "T
|| mobile don't let us send phones back".
|| He rambled for a bit then changed his mind to say that because I was
|| porting a number from another network that was why I couldn't change my
|| mind once everything was signed.
|| Is he right?
|| cheers.
|| (Also posted to uk.legal)
|| --

You ARE allowed a certain amount of time to cancel any credit agreement.
(Usually 7 - 14 days). Tell the blokey he's speaking out of his arse, and
that if he conitues to LIE and practice deceiptful act you will get in touch
with Trading Standards.

Alot of places try this on, when they are under pressure of sales, comssion
etc.

"If I have bought something on a credit agreement can I change my mind and
cancel ?
You may be able to cancel if you do so within a limited period of time. The
agreement will tell you that you have a right to cancel and how much time
you have to do this. However, you can only cancel if the agreement was made
with the supplier in person (this means not on the telephone) and the
agreement was not signed at the supplier's business premises."

Old October 28th 03, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
www.kernow-telecom.co.uk

"Craig Rider" wrote in message
news:b393ae4ca9eb43b50faaa297f190d52c.67511@mygate .mailgate.org...
Hello,

I was in the Link yesterday getting a new contract and phone and was a
bit suprised when one of the staff told me I couldn't cancel the
contract once it was signed. I was under the impression that you had 14
days to cancel a credit agreement but the sales guy insisted that "T
mobile don't let us send phones back".

He rambled for a bit then changed his mind to say that because I was
porting a number from another network that was why I couldn't change my
mind once everything was signed.

T-Mobile will only let you cancel if you order by mail order, in which case
it is 7 days. Other than that, they changed the rules earlier in the year
which stated you should check the coverage before you buy, as you cannot
just cancel in 14 days "because you've changed your mind". Faulty returns
are still possible within 28 days IIRC.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Simon

Best mobile deals around! Cheap international calls
(India only 10p/min on 0871 570 8216), ADSL from only
19.99! Cheap O2 sims & more - www.kernow-telecom.co.uk

Old October 28th 03, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Tariq

"Craig Rider" wrote in message
news:b393ae4ca9eb43b50faaa297f190d52c.67511@mygate .mailgate.org...

I was in the Link yesterday getting a new contract and phone and was a
bit suprised when one of the staff told me I couldn't cancel the
contract once it was signed. I was under the impression that you had 14
days to cancel a credit agreement but the sales guy insisted that "T
mobile don't let us send phones back".

He rambled for a bit then changed his mind to say that because I was
porting a number from another network that was why I couldn't change my
mind once everything was signed.

Is he right?

Yes, T-Mobile do not offer a 14-day return period on new connections anymore
(bringing it into line with upgrades). If you connect by mail order, you
will still have the 7 day period allowed under Distance Selling Regulations.

Tariq

Old October 28th 03, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Steeler

"^^artnada^^" wrote in message
Craig Rider wrote:
|| Hello,
|| I was in the Link yesterday getting a new contract and phone and was a
|| bit suprised when one of the staff told me I couldn't cancel the
|| contract once it was signed. I was under the impression that you had

14
|| days to cancel a credit agreement but the sales guy insisted that "T
|| mobile don't let us send phones back".
|| He rambled for a bit then changed his mind to say that because I was
|| porting a number from another network that was why I couldn't change my
|| mind once everything was signed.
|| Is he right?
|| cheers.
|| (Also posted to uk.legal)
|| --

You ARE allowed a certain amount of time to cancel any credit agreement.
(Usually 7 - 14 days). Tell the blokey he's speaking out of his arse, and
that if he conitues to LIE and practice deceiptful act you will get in

touch
with Trading Standards.

Actually T-Mobile get around these laws because you are taking possession of
a new phone. This means they can classify it as monthly payments for the
price of the handset (with free talktime and service) rather than a credit
agreement fot the service (with a free phone).

Old October 28th 03, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Webmaster

Craig Rider reckoned that:
I was in the Link yesterday getting a new contract and phone and was a
bit suprised when one of the staff told me I couldn't cancel the
contract once it was signed. I was under the impression that you had 14
days to cancel a credit agreement but the sales guy insisted that "T
mobile don't let us send phones back".

T-mobile have rescinded their 14-day return policy.
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
Motorola remote unlocking - 10 (includes A920 on '3')
Old October 28th 03, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Webmaster

^^artnada^^ reckoned that:
You ARE allowed a certain amount of time to cancel any credit agreement.
(Usually 7 - 14 days). Tell the blokey he's speaking out of his arse, and
that if he conitues to LIE and practice deceiptful act you will get in touch
with Trading Standards.

This policy comes directly from T-Mobile and would be the same regardless
of where you purchased from. The sales person is not in the wrong here, not
knowingly anyway.

As for the legality of it, well no-one has sued them yet.
Old October 28th 03, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Dazzah

"Webmaster" wrote in message
^^artnada^^ reckoned that:
You ARE allowed a certain amount of time to cancel any credit agreement.
(Usually 7 - 14 days). Tell the blokey he's speaking out of his arse,

and
that if he conitues to LIE and practice deceiptful act you will get in

touch
with Trading Standards.

This policy comes directly from T-Mobile and would be the same regardless
of where you purchased from. The sales person is not in the wrong here,

not
knowingly anyway.

As for the legality of it, well no-one has sued them yet.

You don't have the right "to cancel any credit agreement" if you sign it in
a shop.

If you're referring to Consumer Credit Act 1974, your right to cancel only
applies if you sign the agreement off the trade premises.

This is where buying by mail order or online has its advantages, in which
case you also have a seven day cooling off period whether or not you buy on
credit by virtue of the Distance Selling Regulations 2000.

Old October 28th 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Steeler

"Dazzah" wrote in message

"Webmaster" wrote in message
^^artnada^^ reckoned that:
[...]

true. The "cooling off" period was only introduced to stop pressure sales
firms from doorstopping grannies. It is assumed that if you can legally
enter into a contract then you are bound by it.