Emergency Only Mobile

Old May 24th 13, 03:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry[_2_]

Default Emergency Only Mobile

wrote:
Steve Terry wrote:
wrote:
Whiskers wrote:

snip
The 'free' Ovivo deal doesn't need to be used to continue working
either, 15 for the SIM and then nothing to pay for ever and no need
to top-up or make calls to keep it alive.

But they disconnnect after 60days and close account after 360 days

Who, Ovivo or Virgin? It hasn't happened to my Virgin account.

Ovivo, it's in their T&Cs

AFAIK you can still transfer an Orange OVP Virgin if you can find
someone to transfer one to you.

Transfer which way?

From the owner of an Orange OVP Virgin to you of course

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

Old May 25th 13, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
MB[_4_]

On 18/05/2013 15:52, Whiskers wrote:
I don't know of any provider that offers a SIM that is guaranteed never to
expire; but making one call every few months is usually enough to keep it
active - and also confirms that your handset is still working, of course,
which is essential knowledge for any emergency kit.

I haven't topped up my O2 Pay As Go for many years, certainly well over
five years. I hardly ever use and leave turned off most of the time.
Old May 25th 13, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
MB[_4_]

On 19/05/2013 13:05, Woody wrote:
No, I said the cost of getting a CD to market is under 1 and
that is all in. Anything above that is pure profit.

Oh, and for RP, I meant commercial CDs, not blanks you prat! :-))

Is the writer, performer etc of the music not entitled to payment?

Do you expect to be able to buy the latest novel for the cost of the
paper and ink?

As much logic as someone complaining that Oeuf Something_or_Other costs
50 in a five star restaurant when an egg only costs a couple of quid
for a box of six in the supermarket.
Old May 25th 13, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
MB[_4_]

On 20/05/2013 12:13, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 20/05/2013 in message

Tim+ wrote:

I could understand the interest in an "emergency only" mobile phone
back in
the early days of mobile phones when contracts cost an arm and a leg but
surely mobile phone use and ownership is now so ubiquitous that few folk
would want one just for emergencies?

Perhaps it's me / my age?

I had a mobile at work and so was available 24/7. I didn't want to be
available 24/7 once I retired. People can (a) write to me (b) email me
(c) visit me or (d) 'phone me at home and leave a message if I don't
answer. That's enough ways to communicate as far as I'm concerned.

I do not want to be disturbed by a 'phone while I'm walking the dog in
the countryside on a lovely clear/quiet day! I do want something I can
call the RAC/emergency service on though.

I am very similar, we had to use the mobile phone at work - boss removed
landline phones from most places. He would have liked us to have it on
when not working but I used a pager for periods when on 24/7 call
because the mobile number was quoted in internal directories and given
out to every UTCAA so you were likely to receive calls on days off and
other times. The mobile phone was turned off the moment I finished work
and sometimes left in the desk at work. Also whatever assurations are
given by the industry, I like to keep down my exposure to RF especially
close to the head.

Old May 25th 13, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Tim+

MB wrote:
On 18/05/2013 15:52, Whiskers wrote:
I don't know of any provider that offers a SIM that is guaranteed never to
expire; but making one call every few months is usually enough to keep it
active - and also confirms that your handset is still working, of course,
which is essential knowledge for any emergency kit.

I haven't topped up my O2 Pay As Go for many years, certainly well over
five years. I hardly ever use and leave turned off most of the time.

But does it make calls?

Tim
Old May 26th 13, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
MB[_4_]

On 25/05/2013 23:09, Tim+ wrote:
MB wrote:
On 18/05/2013 15:52, Whiskers wrote:
I don't know of any provider that offers a SIM that is guaranteed never to
expire; but making one call every few months is usually enough to keep it
active - and also confirms that your handset is still working, of course,
which is essential knowledge for any emergency kit.

I haven't topped up my O2 Pay As Go for many years, certainly well over
five years. I hardly ever use and leave turned off most of the time.

But does it make calls?

Tim

Of course, on the rare occasion that I want to make one.
Old May 26th 13, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Tim+

MB wrote:
On 25/05/2013 23:09, Tim+ wrote:
MB wrote:
On 18/05/2013 15:52, Whiskers wrote:
I don't know of any provider that offers a SIM that is guaranteed never to
expire; but making one call every few months is usually enough to keep it
active - and also confirms that your handset is still working, of course,
which is essential knowledge for any emergency kit.

I haven't topped up my O2 Pay As Go for many years, certainly well over
five years. I hardly ever use and leave turned off most of the time.

But does it make calls?

Tim

Of course, on the rare occasion that I want to make one.

Pleased to hear it. It is odd though given that the vast majority of PAYG
sims ARE disconnected if not used for 6 months or so, including O2 ones.

It doesn't look like O2 do any straightforward PAYG tariffs now, they all
start at £10 PER MONTH which implies that that is a minimum fee to maintain
service. I suspect that you're on a obsolete tariff that they've just
overlooked so your experience isn't typical or of any use to anyone looking
for a new PAYG sim.

Tim
Old May 26th 13, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Woody[_4_]

"Tim+" wrote in message
MB wrote:
On 25/05/2013 23:09, Tim+ wrote:
MB wrote:
[...]

No, they still do bog standard PAYG as do most (all?) of the SPs,
you just have to ask (insist) if you want to buy it.

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old May 28th 13, 04:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry[_2_]

MB wrote:
On 20/05/2013 12:13, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 20/05/2013 in message

Tim+ wrote:

snip
I do not want to be disturbed by a 'phone while I'm walking the dog
in the countryside on a lovely clear/quiet day! I do want something
I can call the RAC/emergency service on though.

I am very similar, we had to use the mobile phone at work - boss
removed landline phones from most places. He would have liked us to
have it on when not working but I used a pager for periods when on
24/7 call because the mobile number was quoted in internal
directories and given out to every UTCAA so you were likely to
receive calls on days off and other times. The mobile phone was
turned off the moment I finished work and sometimes left in the desk
at work. Also whatever assurations are given by the industry, I like
to keep down my exposure to RF especially close to the head.

Since all the networks went over to DTX the average amount of RF
GSM phones emit is negligible

Steve Terry