Three Dongle and Windows 10 Woes

Old February 16th 17, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roy Brown

Default Three Dongle and Windows 10 Woes

In message , James Wilkinson Sword
writing at 22:26:14 in his/her local time
opines:-
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 22:19:36 -0000, SB wrote:

snip

Has anyone managed to circumvent these updates whilst using a Three
dongle or S2 phone?

Many thanks - SB.

Your problem is you're using a ****ty limited internet connection.
Limiting data in the 21st century is not acceptable.

Hello Mr Troll - perhaps you can be useful, and belie your reputation
(hint; same as that internet connection) by using your razor-sharp
skills to enumerate available mobile plans with unlimited data?

--
Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris
Old February 16th 17, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Richard Colton[_7_]

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 13:45:02 -0000, Richard Colton

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 14:31:17 -0000, Richard Colton

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 22:19:36 -0000, SB wrote:

Just got a new Dell Inspiron laptop. That is by definition to be used
for travelling. However I have already run foul of the dreaded
Windows
10 (Home) automatic updates. Last week whilst doing some emails I
suddenly got a web page stating that I had run out of data allowance.
Bl**dy Windows had attempted to download a massive update file and
soaked up my remaining Three dongle data allowance for the month -
without my authorisation.

Investigating I discovered that it is only possible to stop these
updates on wifi connections by configuring them as 'metered.' But
this
is not possible when connecting via tethering (e.g. with a S2
Skypephone) or with a Three dongle.

And Microsoft have viciously thwarted other methods of stopping these
updates which used to be by modifying settings in the Registry.

The ONLY way I can see of avoiding these draconian and expensive
updates is to dump Windows 10, go back to Windows 7, or install
Linux.
However I purchased said laptop from John Lewis and they have stated
that any such mods. would invalidate their guarantee.

Has anyone managed to circumvent these updates whilst using a Three
dongle or S2 phone?

Many thanks - SB.

Your problem is you're using a ****ty limited internet connection.
Limiting data in the 21st century is not acceptable.

So rather than helping you thought you'd extend your idiocy beyond the
DIY group did you?

Not idiocy but modern technology. Everything updates nowadays,
everything is also very large. You need a decent internet connection in
the 21st century. Does your car need refuelling every 10 miles?

The problem plain and simple is Win10. There is no excuse for a paid
for operating system enforcing an update schedule on the poor *******
that's unlucky enough to be using it, but that is exactly what
Mickysoft
have done with the steaming pile of spyware that is Win10.

So you'd prefer to be out of date with a bug ridden OS?

No, I'd prefer to use the right tool for the right job. If the only
options available were W10 or nothing, I'd go with nothing - I have no
use for a multi-gigabyte keylogger. However, there are choices
available - the machine I'm using at the moment is on Win7, or I could
retire to a different machine in the house and use Mint or whatever
other flavour of Linux I prefer for the job at hand.

7 is just an out of date 10.

Yes, of course it is - in your deluded little mind.

Short of running some complicated rules in a non-microsoft firewall, I
really don't know what to suggest to the OP, but as far as installing
another OS, it will NOT invalidate the warranty, but you may encounter
problems installing it due to TPM and secure boot.

What about:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-di...y-optimization

(scroll down to "metered networks")
It should avoid it by itself, but you can tell it a certain connection
is metered.

That won't stop it, it will still download "priority" updates.

Which can't be that big, just how pathetic is your connection? Why not
simply get a better one and join us in the 21st century?

Really? Are you guessing on download sizes or do you actually have a
point to make? My connection is fine thanks, but some people are on
metered downloads, and my point still stands that no paid for operating
system should *ever* update without having explicit permission to do so.

Now get back under your bridge.

Old February 16th 17, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
David Wade[_2_]

Really? Are you guessing on download sizes or do you actually have a
point to make? My connection is fine thanks, but some people are on
metered downloads, and my point still stands that no paid for operating
system should *ever* update without having explicit permission to do so.

You gave it explicit permission when you installed it. The problem was
that when there was an option, every one opted out. The result was
enough malware infected systems to bring the world down.

The result, Microsoft now forces fixes on all "Home" users...

Now get back under your bridge.

Old February 17th 17, 07:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
chris

David Wade wrote:

Really? Are you guessing on download sizes or do you actually have a
point to make? My connection is fine thanks, but some people are on
metered downloads, and my point still stands that no paid for operating
system should *ever* update without having explicit permission to do so.

You gave it explicit permission when you installed it. The problem was
that when there was an option, every one opted out. The result was
enough malware infected systems to bring the world down.

The result, Microsoft now forces fixes on all "Home" users...

There is a middle ground which works fine with Macs and linux.

Now get back under your bridge.

Old February 17th 17, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
David Wade[_2_]

On 17/02/2017 08:23, Chris wrote:
David Wade wrote:

Really? Are you guessing on download sizes or do you actually have a
point to make? My connection is fine thanks, but some people are on
metered downloads, and my point still stands that no paid for operating
system should *ever* update without having explicit permission to do so.

You gave it explicit permission when you installed it. The problem was
that when there was an option, every one opted out. The result was
enough malware infected systems to bring the world down.

The result, Microsoft now forces fixes on all "Home" users...

There is a middle ground which works fine with Macs and linux.

Not sure it does work well. Got a friend with bricked Linux laptop. Of
course he can restore if he has a another system to download and build.

Now get back under your bridge.

Old February 17th 17, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
James Wilkinson Sword[_2_]

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:38:28 -0000, Roy Brown wrote:

In message , James Wilkinson Sword
writing at 22:26:14 in his/her local time
opines:-
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 22:19:36 -0000, SB wrote:

snip

Has anyone managed to circumvent these updates whilst using a Three
dongle or S2 phone?

Many thanks - SB.

Your problem is you're using a ****ty limited internet connection.
Limiting data in the 21st century is not acceptable.

Hello Mr Troll - perhaps you can be useful, and belie your reputation
(hint; same as that internet connection) by using your razor-sharp
skills to enumerate available mobile plans with unlimited data?

Mobile is not yet useful for data. You're either using a stupidly small screen, or tethering to a laptop and having a ridiculously small limit.

A mobile phone is for calling people, a computer is for the internet.

--
Where Article 51 applies, the number of Directors subject to retirement by
rotation under Article 49 shall be reduced (subject to Article 64(g)) by

Old February 18th 17, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roy Brown

In message , James Wilkinson Sword
writing at 19:27:30 in his/her local time
opines:-
wrote:

[...]

And an iPad with 4G is for....what exactly, in your 1990s world?

Old February 18th 17, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
James Wilkinson Sword[_2_]

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:02:30 -0000, Richard Colton wrote:

[...]

Yeah, like Microsoft would make the next version worse. Most people prefer the newer versions. Maybe you'd be better off with something control freaky geeky like linux?

[...]

My bridge has a decent internet connection with completely unlimited downloads. If yours doesn't, then change provider.

--
Scots are tightwads who are saving up to become Jewish.
Old February 18th 17, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
James Wilkinson Sword[_2_]

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 08:23:25 -0000, Chris wrote:

David Wade wrote:

Really? Are you guessing on download sizes or do you actually have a
point to make? My connection is fine thanks, but some people are on
metered downloads, and my point still stands that no paid for operating
system should *ever* update without having explicit permission to do so.

You gave it explicit permission when you installed it. The problem was
that when there was an option, every one opted out. The result was
enough malware infected systems to bring the world down.

The result, Microsoft now forces fixes on all "Home" users...

There is a middle ground which works fine with Macs and linux.

They have less viruses because so few people use them that nobody bothers writing viruses for them.

--
Money can't buy you true love.
It does however put you in a good bargaining position.