SIM porting to new phone?

Old February 16th 17, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roy Brown

Default SIM porting to new phone?

I have an ageing Moto G from EE on a contract deal than can't be beaten
today, even for calls/text/data alone.

But the phone is running out of oomph.

If I buy a new MOTO G4 SIM-free (not from EE, who don't do it), or even
maybe wait for the Moto G5 likewise, if it's not too far away, can I
port my existing EE SIM into the new Moto and carry on with my existing
EE contract without problems?

Might have to get the SIM cut down, but that is no problem.

I know phone are locked to carriers, as the Moto G probably still is,
but I don't know if SIMs are locked to phones in any way?
--
Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris
Old February 16th 17, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 16 February 2017 15:27:59 UTC, Roy Brown wrote:
I have an ageing Moto G from EE on a contract deal than can't be beaten
today, even for calls/text/data alone.

But the phone is running out of oomph.

If I buy a new MOTO G4 SIM-free (not from EE, who don't do it), or even
maybe wait for the Moto G5 likewise, if it's not too far away, can I
port my existing EE SIM into the new Moto and carry on with my existing
EE contract without problems?

Might have to get the SIM cut down, but that is no problem.

I know phone are locked to carriers, as the Moto G probably still is,
but I don't know if SIMs are locked to phones in any way?

Never come across this and I have O2, Voda, Orange / 121 (EE) and 3 SIM's in unlocked phones they did not come with.

Old February 16th 17, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Woody[_4_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
[...]

Times change. VF contract phones are usually unlocked, EE will unlock
a PAYG when you buy it or after 6 months on contract, all Three
phones/mi-fi are supplied unlocked, as are any phones you buy from CPW
although some of them (notably iPhones) automatically lock to the
first SIM installed.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 16th 17, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Pete Forman[_2_]

"Woody" writes:

[...]

The question was whether the SIM card is locked. I am pretty sure that
the answer is that it is not.

I have cut a few down from mini to micro using a cutter from eBay and
offer this advice. If you have some old SIMs around do practice runs
first. There is probably no need to get micro to mini adapters, the
outside after cutting serves just as well. Cutting down to nano is a
more daunting prospect as that sim is thinner, not just smaller.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com
Old February 17th 17, 07:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
chris

Roy Brown wrote:
I have an ageing Moto G from EE on a contract deal than can't be beaten
today, even for calls/text/data alone.

But the phone is running out of oomph.

If I buy a new MOTO G4 SIM-free (not from EE, who don't do it), or even
maybe wait for the Moto G5 likewise, if it's not too far away, can I
port my existing EE SIM into the new Moto and carry on with my existing
EE contract without problems?

Yes. I've done this before mid-contract. They don't care as long as you
keep paying.

Might have to get the SIM cut down, but that is no problem.

If you damage your SIM that might be a different situation. I don't know if
providers will replace broken SIMs and keep the same contract?

I know phone are locked to carriers, as the Moto G probably still is,

You can ask ee to unlock it. They'll charge, mind.

but I don't know if SIMs are locked to phones in any way?

Old February 17th 17, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roy Brown

In message , Pete Forman
writing at 19:04:45 in his/her local time
opines:-
"Woody" writes:

[...]

Thanks to everyone for the replies - I'll go ahead, then.

I had the micro SIM for my iPad 3 cut down to nano size to fit in my
iPad Pro, and it (just) goes in (and more importantly, comes out again),
though you can indeed see that it sits a little proud of the carrier.

That was after the local EE shop played silly buggers when I asked for a
SIM swap :-(

Old February 17th 17, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roy Brown

In message , Chris
writing at 08:18:19 in his/her local time opines:-
Roy Brown wrote:
I have an ageing Moto G from EE on a contract deal than can't be beaten
today, even for calls/text/data alone.

But the phone is running out of oomph.

If I buy a new MOTO G4 SIM-free (not from EE, who don't do it), or even
maybe wait for the Moto G5 likewise, if it's not too far away, can I
port my existing EE SIM into the new Moto and carry on with my existing
EE contract without problems?

Yes. I've done this before mid-contract. They don't care as long as you
keep paying.

Might have to get the SIM cut down, but that is no problem.

If you damage your SIM that might be a different situation. I don't know if
providers will replace broken SIMs and keep the same contract?

The local phone kiosk is pretty good - cut down my micro SIM to nano for
5.

If the Moto 4/5 needs nano, and hasn't got clearance for the 'fat nano'
that results from cutting down a micro SIM, that might be an issue,
though.

Worst case then is I get a nano to micro adaptor, and I am stuck with it
in the existing Moto G.

I know phone are locked to carriers, as the Moto G probably still is,

You can ask ee to unlock it. They'll charge, mind.

I could, but what would I do with it? The whole point is to get
something with more oomph. And I expect said kiosk could unlock it
cheaper....

but I don't know if SIMs are locked to phones in any way?

It seems not, so I will proceed.
Old February 17th 17, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Tim+[_3_]

Roy Brown wrote:
[...]

I've never had a problem getting a replacement appropriately sized sim from
my service provider. Just ask, I've never had to pay.

Tim

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 17th 17, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
AnthonyL

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:26:25 +0000, Roy Brown
wrote:

I have an ageing Moto G from EE on a contract deal than can't be beaten
today, even for calls/text/data alone.

But the phone is running out of oomph.

If I buy a new MOTO G4 SIM-free (not from EE, who don't do it), or even
maybe wait for the Moto G5 likewise, if it's not too far away, can I
port my existing EE SIM into the new Moto and carry on with my existing
EE contract without problems?

Might have to get the SIM cut down, but that is no problem.

I know phone are locked to carriers, as the Moto G probably still is,
but I don't know if SIMs are locked to phones in any way?

Just bought a Moto G4 - especially wanted a dual sim and whilst the
big phone shops don't do dual sim (so they say as they claim there is
no demand) John Lewis did and at the same price as the single SIM,
unlocked. Just make sure you ask for the White one if that's what you
want. Separate SD card slot as well and without taking the back of
the phone off again and annoying SWIMBO I'm pretty sure it was a
micro-sim and not nano sim.

I might buy one for myself - but I'll go for the better focussing
camera of the Plus, though by the time I get around to it the 6 will
be out.

--
AnthonyL
Old February 17th 17, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 17 February 2017 11:24:39 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 16/02/2017 18:35, Woody wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Thursday, 16 February 2017 15:27:59 UTC, Roy Brown wrote:
I have an ageing Moto G from EE on a contract deal than can't be
beaten
today, even for calls/text/data alone.

But the phone is running out of oomph.

If I buy a new MOTO G4 SIM-free (not from EE, who don't do it), or
even
maybe wait for the Moto G5 likewise, if it's not too far away, can
port my existing EE SIM into the new Moto and carry on with my
existing
EE contract without problems?

Might have to get the SIM cut down, but that is no problem.

I know phone are locked to carriers, as the Moto G probably still
is,
but I don't know if SIMs are locked to phones in any way?

Apart from the ones that won't fit into a particular phone or old phones
which will only do 2G service I don't think there is a problem. I had a
forced migration from original Moto G to newer model when my original
bricked itself just inside warrantee. Both were unlocked.

Never come across this and I have O2, Voda, Orange / 121 (EE) and 3
SIM's in unlocked phones they did not come with.

Times change. VF contract phones are usually unlocked, EE will unlock
a PAYG when you buy it or after 6 months on contract, all Three
phones/mi-fi are supplied unlocked, as are any phones you buy from CPW
although some of them (notably iPhones) automatically lock to the
first SIM installed.

Once locked down an iPhone seems to be a remarkable pain to get unlocked
so that it will work again with another providers SIM.

The iPhone move that caused a friend a lot of pain and suffering was
from O2 to VF (only VF has any signal where he lives).

It is lock ins like this that are the reason I never buy crapple.

First noticed about thirty years ago when they made the Apple Mac very difficult to open.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lock-in#Apple_Inc.

Martin Brown