Three data only SIM

Old February 26th 17, 06:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Malcolm Loades[_4_]

Default Three data only SIM

I purchased a TP-LINK Archer MR200 router for a location which doesn't
have a landline together with a 20GB data only SIM from Three.
Primarily data usage is minimal with nothing more than the Hive heating
control using it. Just sometimes it's used for more data greedy purposes.

What I'm stumped on is how do I know how much data remains on the SIM at
any time? The router can report on data used and understands data
allowances per month, but it doesn't seem to understand the concept of a
set amount of data which doesn't expire.

Can data remaining on a SIM only data card be read if it's inserted into
an unlocked mobile?

Malcolm
Old February 26th 17, 07:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Tim+[_3_]

Malcolm Loades wrote:
I purchased a TP-LINK Archer MR200 router for a location which doesn't
have a landline together with a 20GB data only SIM from Three.
Primarily data usage is minimal with nothing more than the Hive heating
control using it. Just sometimes it's used for more data greedy purposes.

What I'm stumped on is how do I know how much data remains on the SIM at
any time? The router can report on data used and understands data
allowances per month, but it doesn't seem to understand the concept of a
set amount of data which doesn't expire.

Can data remaining on a SIM only data card be read if it's inserted into
an unlocked mobile?

Malcolm

Maybe you could log into 3 online? https://www.three.co.uk/My3Account/Login

Of course if you haven't set up a password you would have to put the sim
into a phone to receive a text message.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 26th 17, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Malcolm Loades[_4_]

On 26/02/2017 08:20, Tim+ wrote:
Malcolm Loades wrote:
I purchased a TP-LINK Archer MR200 router for a location which doesn't
have a landline together with a 20GB data only SIM from Three.
Primarily data usage is minimal with nothing more than the Hive heating
control using it. Just sometimes it's used for more data greedy purposes.

What I'm stumped on is how do I know how much data remains on the SIM at
any time? The router can report on data used and understands data
allowances per month, but it doesn't seem to understand the concept of a
set amount of data which doesn't expire.

Can data remaining on a SIM only data card be read if it's inserted into
an unlocked mobile?

Malcolm

Maybe you could log into 3 online? https://www.three.co.uk/My3Account/Login

Of course if you haven't set up a password you would have to put the sim
into a phone to receive a text message.

Being a data only SIM it can't receive a text message since it doesn't
have a 'phone number. Three account login first asks for the mobile
number :-(

Malcolm
Old February 26th 17, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Dex

On 26/02/2017 09:22, Malcolm Loades wrote:
On 26/02/2017 08:20, Tim+ wrote:
Malcolm Loades wrote:
[...]

It does have a phone number, it'll be on the card you received with the
SIM. You can look at SMS messages from the routers home screen.

http://setuprouter.com/router/tp-lin...1297-large.htm

Sending SMS messages will cost though.

Old February 26th 17, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Martin Nicholas[_11_]

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 09:22:16 +0000
Malcolm Loades wrote:

On 26/02/2017 08:20, Tim+ wrote:
Malcolm Loades wrote:
[...]

All SIMs have a phone number. It's printed on the carrier. I got a data
reward SIM - everything works except the answerphone.

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail:

Old February 26th 17, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Martin Brown

On 26/02/2017 08:20, Tim+ wrote:
Malcolm Loades wrote:
[...]

All the data only SIMs I have ever owned have had a phone number it is
just that you don't get much if any functionality on it. Also 20GB seems
a funny number - last time I looked their data only PAYG SIMs were
1GB/30days 3GB/90 days and 12GB/year. I use them a fair amount as
disposable top ups when I run out of mobile phone contract data.

When connected by the Three network SIM you should be able to look at
available data under My3Account ISTR without bothering to login since it
can tell that you are using a Three IP address belonging to the SIM.

Martin Brown
Old February 26th 17, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Bob Eager[_5_]

wrote:

On 26/02/2017 08:20, Tim+ wrote:
Malcolm Loades wrote:
[...]

Well, no. It depends entirely on the provider.

I put a new SIM in yesterday. It just had an activation code on the
carrier, and an ICCID on the SIM.
Old February 27th 17, 07:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
chris

wrote:

On 26/02/2017 08:20, Tim+ wrote:
Malcolm Loades wrote:
[...]

I've not got the carrier any more so can't be categoric but I feel
pretty sure that no 'phone number appeared on it.

Unless three have changed things recently, their data SIMs do come a phone
number. I manage one for my parents' holiday home.

I think the easiest thing will be to remove the SIM when convenient and
take it to a Three shop and ask how much is left on it and how I can
check in future myself.

No need to take the SIM out. The data aren't stored on the SIM. It's purely
a function of the account you have with them. You need to give them the
account details - which usually means the phone number - and they can tell
you.

Old February 27th 17, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
PeeGee

On 26/02/17 08:20, Tim+ wrote:
Malcolm Loades wrote:
[...]

If you go to
https://www.three.co.uk/My3Account/R...globalregister
on you computer, you can set up an account for the associated phone
number and supply an e-mail address (as well as name/address) to create
an account. You can then use the "login" address (above) to check your
remaining allowance/balance etc.

If it's a data reward SIM and registered for "freedata" you might be
able to use the 200MB monthly "free" allowance and get an add-on when
you need more than 1500MB (£15 at 1p/MB - the same value add-on is 2GB
lasting 30 days)

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old February 27th 17, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Malcolm Loades[_4_]

On 27/02/2017 13:10, PeeGee wrote:
On 27/02/17 12:45, PeeGee wrote:

If you go to
https://www.three.co.uk/My3Account/R...globalregister
on you computer, you can set up an account for the associated phone
number and supply an e-mail address (as well as name/address) to create
an account. You can then use the "login" address (above) to check your
remaining allowance/balance etc.

If it's a data reward SIM and registered for "freedata" you might be
able to use the 200MB monthly "free" allowance and get an add-on when
you need more than 1500MB (£15 at 1p/MB - the same value add-on is 2GB
lasting 30 days)

I should have said "If it was a data reward SIM" - though I don't know
your usage pattern and the relative cost effectiveness of the options.

It is a data only SIM pre-loaded with 12GB of 4G data usage (valid for
up to 12 months) and cost £24 last autumn. The problem is that I'd no
idea it came with an associated phone number and I've no way of finding
out what it is since all I have now is the SIM itself. Therefore
setting up an account with Three and logging in is not a possibility
since I've no telephone number.

Malcolm