Date of Easter

Old March 12th 17, 06:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Bob Martin

Default Date of Easter

in 665419 20170311 232431 Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.telecom.mobile message [email protected]
egroups.com, Fri, 10 Mar 2017 02:48:18, R. Mark Clayton
posted:

Easter OTOH is [in principle*] the first Sunday after the first full
moon after the vernal equinox and is calculated.

No; it is defined by the Tables in the Calendar Act of 1751 as the first
Sunday AFTER whichever Ecclesiastical Full Moon is ON OR AFTER March
21st.

The Ecclesiastical Full Moon is a calculated approximation to the real
full moon (and, in the very long term, must deviate increasingly from
the real Full Moon).

March 21st represents the Vernal Equinox at, I suppose, Jerusalem; but
the true Equinox date also varies a little with the years.

The Catholic implementation is different but invariably gives the same
result.

I've used this program for the last 35 years and it's never been wrong.
I believe it was written by Mike Cowlishaw, who created Rexx.
I have no idea how it works and I don't intend to try.

#!/usr/bin/env rexx
/* Calculate Easter Day */

arg xyr .

if xyr = '' then xyr = left(date('S'),4)

months = 'Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec'

xa = xyr // 19
xb = xyr % 100
xc = xyr // 100
xd = xb % 4
xe = xb // 4
xf = (xb + 8) % 25
xg = (xb - xf + 1) % 3
xh = (19 * xa + xb - xd - xg + 15) // 30
xi = xc % 4
xk = xc // 4
xl = (32 + 2 * xe + 2 * xi - xh - xk) // 7
xm = (xa + 11 * xh + 22 * xl) % 451

xx = xh + xl - 7 * xm + 114
em = xx % 31
xp = xx // 31
ed = xp + 1

say 'Easter in' xyr 'is' word(months,em) ed
Old March 12th 17, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
MB[_5_]

On 08/03/2017 18:39, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 18:19:12 +0000, David Wade
wrote:

On 08/03/2017 15:32, Tim+ wrote:
Optimist wrote:
I use my mobile phone's calendar to plan meetings etc. I am rather
disappointed that it doesn't yet
show the date of Easter this year, only a few weeks away. It is set to
display UK holidays, and
last year's Easter is there.

Are all phones the same or is it just the Sony Xperia?

Hmmm. Can't find it on my iPhone either...

Tim

Easter Sunday isn't a national holiday. Easter Monday shows in my
Experia Z now I have enabled UK holidays.

Technically correct no doubt but does this mean Christmas Day is not
shown (as Christmas Day) on calendars if it occurs on a Saturday or a
Sunday?

Depends on the calendar that you select, some do not display the
regional holidays in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Easy to check on the PC and either import / enable another calendar or
enter them manually.

The problem that I usually find is them appearing several times because
of different calendars so I go through and delete duplicates.

Old March 12th 17, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
MB[_5_]

On 09/03/2017 17:16, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Easter is movable, but entirely predictable on a formula refined under Pope Gregory XIII, who also brought in the Gregorian calendar still in use today.

There has been talk of changing the system.

Christian leaders attempt to fix global date for Easter

Archbishop of canterbury Justin Welby says unified date could come in
five to 10 years – allowing followers worldwide to celebrate at same time

Old March 13th 17, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Andrew Benham

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 11:33:29 +0000, MB wrote:

On 09/03/2017 17:16, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Easter is movable, but entirely predictable on a formula refined under Pope Gregory XIII, who also brought in the Gregorian calendar still in use today.

There has been talk of changing the system.

Christian leaders attempt to fix global date for Easter

Archbishop of canterbury Justin Welby says unified date could come in
five to 10 years – allowing followers worldwide to celebrate at same time

In the UK, Parliament passed the Easter Act in 1928 - this would set the date
of Easter to between 9 and 15 April each year. It just requires the various
churches to agree on a fixed Easter. Time passes...

E.g.:
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/l...aster-act-1928
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/acts/easter-act-1928

Old March 14th 17, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Daniel James[_2_]

In article , Optimist
wrote:
Are all phones the same or is it just the Sony Xperia?

My Xperia Z1 Compact (running Android 5 "Lollipop") shows Good Friday
and Easter Monday as regional holidays using the "Holidays in United
Kingdom" Google Calendar data ... so it's certainly not a problem with
all Sony devices.

Have you tried forcing a re-sync?

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Old March 14th 17, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Optimist

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 13:28:04 -0000, Daniel James wrote:

In article , Optimist
wrote:
Are all phones the same or is it just the Sony Xperia?

My Xperia Z1 Compact (running Android 5 "Lollipop") shows Good Friday
and Easter Monday as regional holidays using the "Holidays in United
Kingdom" Google Calendar data ... so it's certainly not a problem with
all Sony devices.

Have you tried forcing a re-sync?

Thanks for the suggestion, Daniel, I've just re-synced so everything is up-to-date.

The Holidays in UK box is ticked but it shows only holidays for 2015 & 2016. I have tried other
countries too but it shows just those same two years.

I've also switched the phone off & back on again and refreshed the calendar.

The phone is an M4 Aqua, model no. E2303, Android 5.0, build no. 26.1.A.3.111.

The folk in the Virgin store I bought it from are mystified too.

Ah well, I'll just have to revert to an old-fashioned diary!
Old March 17th 17, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Daniel James[_2_]

In article , Optimist wrote:
The Holidays in UK box is ticked but it shows only holidays for 2015
& 2016. I have tried other countries too but it shows just those same
two years.

Try unticking it, resyncing, and then ticking it again?

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Old March 17th 17, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Optimist

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 14:27:15 -0000, Daniel James wrote:

In article , Optimist wrote:
The Holidays in UK box is ticked but it shows only holidays for 2015
& 2016. I have tried other countries too but it shows just those same
two years.

Try unticking it, resyncing, and then ticking it again?

Thanks for the suggestion, I have done that but it makes no difference. As a work-around I've gone
into my Google calendar on the PC and added the public holidays to my calendar. They now appear on
the phone calendar but not highlighted in red.

BTW I have AVG installed on my Xperia, could that be blocking updates?

Old March 18th 17, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Daniel James[_2_]

In article , Optimist wrote:
Try unticking it, resyncing, and then ticking it again?

Thanks for the suggestion, I have done that but it makes no
difference.

Shame. Worth a try, though.

BTW I have AVG installed on my Xperia, could that be blocking updates?

I wouldn't have thought so ... and I'd expect that you'd have other
problems if it did. I have ESET's mobile security running on my Xperia,
and that certainly hasn't affected anything.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.