Three - Phone fast but MiFi slow

Old March 19th 17, 12:44 PM
garmcqui garmcqui is offline
Junior Member

Default Three - Phone fast but MiFi slow

I am on three for my mobile, and get very quick data speeds on iPhone - usually 40-50mb/sec.

So, my EE mobile broadband contract was up, so have joined Three's, got a nice "Home-Fi" device but more importantly 40Gb for £20!

Problem is, speedtests are telling me I'm only getting 8-9mb/sec, which is rubbish compared to my phone.

Am currently on online chat to a lovely girl on the other side of the planet, and don't really hold out much hope of her fixing it.

I've tried the sim card in my other router, a D-Link DWR-921 - same problem, very slow. Signal is 4/5 bars.

Is there anything else I can try, before I give up and return it?

Thanks!
Old March 19th 17, 12:45 PM
garmcqui garmcqui is offline
Junior Member

oops, duplicate post.

Apologies, please remove.
Old March 19th 17, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Mark Carver

On 19/03/2017 13:43, garmcqui wrote:
I am on three for my mobile, and get very quick data speeds - usually
40-50mb/sec.

So, my EE mobile broadband contract was up, so have joined Three's, got
a nice "Home-Fi" device but more importantly 40Gb for £20!

Problem is, speedtests are telling me I'm only getting 8-9mb/sec, which
is rubbish compared to my phone.

Am currently on online chat to a lovely girl on the other side of the
planet, and don't really hold out much hope of her fixing it.

I've tried the sim card in my other router, a D-Link DWR-921 - same
problem, very slow. Signal is 4/5 bars.

Is there anything else I can try, before I give up and return it?

What happens if you put the data SIM in your phone ?

--
Mark
Old March 20th 17, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
chris

garmcqui wrote:

I am on three for my mobile, and get very quick data speeds - usually
40-50mb/sec.

So, my EE mobile broadband contract was up, so have joined Three's, got
a nice "Home-Fi" device but more importantly 40Gb for ΔΆ20!

Problem is, speedtests are telling me I'm only getting 8-9mb/sec, which
is rubbish compared to my phone.

Am currently on online chat to a lovely girl on the other side of the
planet, and don't really hold out much hope of her fixing it.

I've tried the sim card in my other router, a D-Link DWR-921 - same
problem, very slow. Signal is 4/5 bars.

Is there anything else I can try, before I give up and return it?

Are the mifi and router limited to 3G whereas the phone is 4G?

Old March 20th 17, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 19/03/2017 13:43, garmcqui wrote:

I am on three for my mobile, and get very quick data speeds - usually
40-50mb/sec.

OK. Model numbers would help since there is a wide variation in the
maximum speeds possible with different kit.

So, my EE mobile broadband contract was up, so have joined Three's, got
a nice "Home-Fi" device but more importantly 40Gb for £20!

Problem is, speedtests are telling me I'm only getting 8-9mb/sec, which
is rubbish compared to my phone.

Model number? I get around 20Mbps with a fairly elderly unit and closer
to 35-40Mbps with a newer one with external antenna.

Am currently on online chat to a lovely girl on the other side of the
planet, and don't really hold out much hope of her fixing it.

I've tried the sim card in my other router, a D-Link DWR-921 - same
problem, very slow. Signal is 4/5 bars.

Is there anything else I can try, before I give up and return it?

Try the SIM card in your phone and check the capabilities of the devices
you are putting the SIM card into. I thought most were capable of at
least 20Mbps under good conditions. Also try at odd times of day so that
contention can be ruled out.

Martin Brown