Motorola Moto G4 Play

Old April 1st 17, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Scott[_3_]

Default Motorola Moto G4 Play

The problems with my Galaxy S5 mini seem to be intractable so I am
planning ahead in case I decide to replace it. I have recently signed
a new SIM only contract so I will need to buy outright (unless I take
up the Apple leasing scheme). I am a basic user only so I prefer not
to pay 600+. Phone, text and internet access. No games or videos.
NFC an essential.

I like the look of the Moto G4 Play. It supports Nougat and claims to
be clutter free. I like the battery life. It gets good reviews. I
feel I am not paying extra for the name.

I understand that Motorola is now owned by Lenovo so I could look at
Lenovo I suppose.

Any comments on this phone?
Old April 1st 17, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Woody[_4_]

"Scott" wrote in message
The problems with my Galaxy S5 mini seem to be intractable so I am
planning ahead in case I decide to replace it. I have recently
signed
a new SIM only contract so I will need to buy outright (unless I
take
up the Apple leasing scheme). I am a basic user only so I prefer
not
to pay 600+. Phone, text and internet access. No games or videos.
NFC an essential.

I like the look of the Moto G4 Play. It supports Nougat and claims
be clutter free. I like the battery life. It gets good reviews. I
feel I am not paying extra for the name.

I understand that Motorola is now owned by Lenovo so I could look at
Lenovo I suppose.

Any comments on this phone?

Look at GSMArena and compare the G4 and the G4Play. I think the latter
is missing some features.

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 1st 17, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Richard Colton[_7_]

On 01/04/2017 13:55, Scott wrote:
The problems with my Galaxy S5 mini seem to be intractable so I am
planning ahead in case I decide to replace it. I have recently signed
a new SIM only contract so I will need to buy outright (unless I take
up the Apple leasing scheme). I am a basic user only so I prefer not
to pay 600+. Phone, text and internet access. No games or videos.
NFC an essential.

I like the look of the Moto G4 Play. It supports Nougat and claims to
be clutter free. I like the battery life. It gets good reviews. I
feel I am not paying extra for the name.

I understand that Motorola is now owned by Lenovo so I could look at
Lenovo I suppose.

Any comments on this phone?

I had two moto G's, one of the early ones, and the dual SIM G3. From
there I went to an LG G3 (terrible phone), and now onto a Lenovo P2.

So far I am highly impressed with the Lenovo, especially the three day
battery life I'm getting.

Old April 2nd 17, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Daniel James[_2_]

In article , Scott wrote:
I like the look of the Moto G4 Play. It supports Nougat and claims to
be clutter free. I like the battery life. It gets good reviews. I
feel I am not paying extra for the name.

[snip]

Any comments on this phone?

I've got one. I bought it as a spare while getting the battery changed
in a more up-market Sony, but I almost didn't switch back to the Sony
afterwards ...

No, my Sony is a better phone: smaller, faster, better camera, has
compass and gyro, has 5GHz WiFi, and is waterproof (but probably isn't
now that I've changed the battery) ... but is limited to Lollipop (curse
you Sony). The G4 Play, on the other hand, has a slightly bigger battery
(and it's officially replaceable), a bigger screen, and a better
selfie-camera (but why?), and a cleaner Android experience because it
isn't loaded up with undeletable Sony bloatware ... and was less than
half the price.

The big selling point of the Sony when I got it was waterproofing, but
now that Sony aren't IP67 rating their new phones any more (why?) I
wouldn't pay the extra.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending the G4 Play to anyone, unless I
knew that they needed some specific feature that it lacks. It's an
excellent all-round phone at a good price.

Good luck getting Nougat, though. My G4 Play has had two updates since I
got it but they're both just Marshmallow bugfixes.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Old April 2nd 17, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Scott[_3_]

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 17:28:21 +0100, Daniel James
wrote:

In article , Scott wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the positive review.

One more point: the cases available seem to protect only the back of
the phone when it seems to me the screen is more at risk of damage. If
I buy a case with a separate screen protecter (hybrid case), does the
screen protector in any way interfere with the operation of the
touchscreen?
Old April 4th 17, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Scott[_3_]

wrote:

In article , Scott wrote:
[...]

Thanks again. In the changing world of technology, I see the G5 is
now available (on a 20 discount from CPW). I am thinking of getting
it instead, which will guarantee Nougat. Any comments, anyone?

Unfortunately there seems to be some dubiety whether it has NFC but I
have contacted Motorola for clarification.
Old April 4th 17, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Bob[_7_]

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 18:31:16 +0100, Scott wrote:

Thanks again. In the changing world of technology, I see the G5 is now
available (on a £20 discount from CPW). I am thinking of getting it
instead, which will guarantee Nougat. Any comments, anyone?

Reviews suggest that it may not be that much better than the G4 - but
that it it is a more manageable size.

The smaller size would, for me, be a plus point.

Unfortunately there seems to be some dubiety whether it has NFC but I
have contacted Motorola for clarification.

I don't *need* NFC but would be interested in any reply you may get.
Old April 4th 17, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Scott[_3_]

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 14:18:34 -0500, Bob wrote:

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 18:31:16 +0100, Scott wrote:

Thanks again. In the changing world of technology, I see the G5 is now
available (on a 20 discount from CPW). I am thinking of getting it
instead, which will guarantee Nougat. Any comments, anyone?

Reviews suggest that it may not be that much better than the G4 - but
that it it is a more manageable size.

The smaller size would, for me, be a plus point.

I think it's more solidly built and would guarantee me Nougat.

Unfortunately there seems to be some dubiety whether it has NFC but I
have contacted Motorola for clarification.

I don't *need* NFC but would be interested in any reply you may get.

I only use it to check if ScotRail has added tickets to my Smartcard
as their systems are so bad !!!
Old April 5th 17, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
AnthonyL

wrote:

In article , Scott wrote:
[...]

A fairly definitive source is GSMArena

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5-8454.php

The G5 Plus is listed as having NFC.

I bought my wife the G4 (white dual sim version) for Christmas and
she's had her first overseas trip with it electing not to bother to
take her Netbook for the first time. She's delighted with it. Based
on this I was tempted with the G4 Plus with its phase-detect focus on
the camera.

Nougat has just been offered to upgrade her Marshmallow (Android 6).
It's a non-reversible upgrade and I'm holding off till I've done more
research (why are the upgrades non-reversible?).

With the G4 I bought a 64Gb fast SD card and formatted as system
memory, so for less than 200 have a phone with more RAM than most
iPhones.

The G5 seems a bit of a cut-back G4 though.

--
AnthonyL
Old April 6th 17, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Daniel James[_2_]

In article , Scott wrote:
One more point: the cases available seem to protect only the back of
the phone when it seems to me the screen is more at risk of damage. If
I buy a case with a separate screen protecter (hybrid case), does the
screen protector in any way interfere with the operation of the
touchscreen?

I don't like screen protectors. SWMBO uses one, and it makes the screen
"feel funny" under the finger, and it seems less responsive; not
unusable, just a bit less nice to use. I don't use a screen protector on
any device, and I've never seen anything get scratched. Gorilla glass is
clearly made from only the toughest of free-range gorillas!

... apart from my Sony phone, which got scratched when I tripped on a
Scottish hilltop after taking a photo and stumbled phone-hand first into
the summit cairn. The phone was in a case, but force of my stumbling
popped it half out of the case exposing the screen -- a screen protector
wouldn't have helped there!

There *are* 'book' and 'flip' style cases for the G4 Play, that cover
the screen as well as the back, but fewer than I would have hoped or
expected. They take a bit of looking for. I haven't yet bought a case
for mine, so I can't make recommendations.

... but see, for example:

http://www.androidcentral.com/best-cases-moto-g4-play

--
Cheers,