Tesco Mobile pre-empts Gibraltexit?

Old April 15th 17, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roland Perry

Default Tesco Mobile pre-empts Gibraltexit?

In message , at 15:05:18 on Sat, 15 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:

Do you get a text when you have roamed to a network you have not used
before? I always do, and it gives pricing details. I've some vague memory
that this is a requirement. Got anything in your text history?

I don't recall having got any of those for many years.
--
Roland Perry
Old April 15th 17, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roland Perry

In message , at 15:41:21 on Sat, 15 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:

A web chat with Tesco reveals that they don't have a list of region 4
countries. But you can ask them if a country is in region 4 and they can
respond yes or no. However, both Morocco and cruise ships are both region
4, so we are no further forwards. However, I'd still go for the billing
error theory.

I went to the Tesco shop and they said "we tell it's more, but have no
idea how much more".

And I can't find a page on the Tesco site which says how much extra it
costs to *receive* a call anywhere.

The Tesco shop claimed that roaming in Gibraltar wasn't going to be
included in bundled calls until some date in the near future (I forget
which). However, the uplift on their website indicates that it's 40p per
minute at the moment. 1 less than I was charged.
--
Roland Perry
Old April 15th 17, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Tweed[_2_]

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:05:18 on Sat, 15 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:

Do you get a text when you have roamed to a network you have not used
before? I always do, and it gives pricing details. I've some vague memory
that this is a requirement. Got anything in your text history?

I don't recall having got any of those for many years.

"When you cross a border within the EU, your mobile operator must send you
a text telling you the price for making and receiving calls, texting and
going online (data download) in the EU country you've just entered."

From
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

I get them, both on 3 and Vodafone.

Tesco' s website gives the cost of a Gibraltar to U.K. Call as 4p/min

http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-...e-uk/gibraltar

Looks like there is a reason why Tesco is a budget mobile operator.

Old April 15th 17, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Graham.[_10_]

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 18:05:06 +0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:05:18 on Sat, 15 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:

Do you get a text when you have roamed to a network you have not used
before? I always do, and it gives pricing details. I've some vague memory
that this is a requirement. Got anything in your text history?

I don't recall having got any of those for many years.

"When you cross a border within the EU, your mobile operator must send you
a text telling you the price for making and receiving calls, texting and
going online (data download) in the EU country you've just entered."

From
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

I get them, both on 3 and Vodafone.

Tesco' s website gives the cost of a Gibraltar to U.K. Call as 4p/min

http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-...e-uk/gibraltar

Looks like there is a reason why Tesco is a budget mobile operator.

My mums husband gets a "Welcolme to Spain" text message every time he
switches his phone on. He did go to spain for a week, but has been
back in the UK for over a year.
His provider are no help, they sent him a new SIM but that didn't fix
it.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 16th 17, 06:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roland Perry

In message , at 18:05:06 on Sat, 15 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:05:18 on Sat, 15 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:

Do you get a text when you have roamed to a network you have not used
before? I always do, and it gives pricing details. I've some vague memory
that this is a requirement. Got anything in your text history?

I don't recall having got any of those for many years.

"When you cross a border within the EU, your mobile operator must send you
a text telling you the price for making and receiving calls, texting and
going online (data download) in the EU country you've just entered."

From
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...ternet/mobile-
roaming-costs/index_en.htm

I get them, both on 3 and Vodafone.

Tesco' s website gives the cost of a Gibraltar to U.K. Call as 4p/min

Yes, I know. But the calls in question were logged as from "Region 4".

--
Roland Perry
Old April 16th 17, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Tweed[_2_]

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:05:18 on Sat, 15 Apr
2017, Tweed remarked:

Do you get a text when you have roamed to a network you have not used
before? I always do, and it gives pricing details. I've some vague memory
that this is a requirement. Got anything in your text history?

I don't recall having got any of those for many years.

"When you cross a border within the EU, your mobile operator must send you
a text telling you the price for making and receiving calls, texting and
going online (data download) in the EU country you've just entered."

From
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...ternet/mobile-
roaming-costs/index_en.htm

I get them, both on 3 and Vodafone.

Tesco' s website gives the cost of a Gibraltar to U.K. Call as 4p/min

Yes, I know. But the calls in question were logged as from "Region 4".

But you said you had not seen a rate advice message for many years. So
either your phone or mobile operator is broken, or you have not roamed
within the EU for many years. As you presumably roamed to Gibtel at some
point, the latter cannot be true. A rate advice message would be a really
useful clue as to if you had roamed to an expensive network.

By the way, as I've not been outside of the EU in ages, do. people know if
the networks supply rate advice messages if you roam to a non EU country?
According to the referenced EU website, it is only a requirement when
roaming within the EU. However, I assume that once a network has gone to
the trouble of supporting such messages they would do it for all roaming.

You also said you had read the uplift for Gibraltar as 40p/minute for voice
when it is 4p. You also said that Tesco had told you that Gibraltar was not
treated as EU, when it is.

As to the region 4, I've given you the answer to the two of the three most
likely possibilities, a cruise ship or Morocco. This information provided
by Tesco online chat. Region 4 appears to be their default option, so I'd
still put a billing error high on the list of likely reasons. Why not go to
their online chat and query the charge and then let us know their answer?
You could also ask about why you don't get rate advice messages. You've got
me interested now....

Roaming to Morocco would seem to bust the whole concept of mobile phones. I
was under the assumption that the system was designed to select high signal
strength, and thus by implication nearby, sites. Picking up and roaming to
distant sites when in range of many local sites (both Gibtel and multiple
Spanish networks) would seem to break the whole frequency reuse model of
the cellular system.
Old April 16th 17, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
tim...

"Tweed" wrote in message
news
Woody wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
Whoops.

Got charged 」9 for a six minute call in Gibraltar, which one might
have expected to be in EU region (and hence bundled).

But perhaps it was roaming across the Straights to north Africa.

Anyone with more Google-fu than me - would that account for the
"Region 4" designation on the bill?
--

It is all on the Tesco page.

Gib to Gib or Gib to UK should be 4p/min. However Moroco to Gib or UK
is 」1.49 per minute, so your thoughts of it skipping across the
Straits is probably right.

Remarkably unlucky if you did connect to Morocco. I was recently in
Gibraltar, and it seemed to be a constant battle between the local
provider
and Spanish networks. It's 9 miles to Morocco, and I'd be amazed if the
Moroccan networks went to the effort of leaking their signal that far.

when in Dover I frequently get connected to French networks

and that's 20 miles away

tim

Old April 16th 17, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 16/04/2017 11:51, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/16/2017 3:45 AM, Tweed wrote:
By the way, as I've not been outside of the EU in ages, do. people
know if
the networks supply rate advice messages if you roam to a non EU country?

I don't know about other networks, but EE/Orange certainly do, at least
for the US. I get those messages as soon as I turn my phone back on
after landing.

And I've had texts from '3' in various non-EU countries.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old April 16th 17, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 16/04/2017 08:45, Tweed wrote:
Roland wrote:
In , at 18:05:06 on Sat, 15 Apr
2017, remarked:
Roland wrote:
In , at 15:05:18 on Sat, 15 Apr
2017, remarked:

[...]

Shouldn't the phone know where it is from the GPS co-ordinates (assuming
it has a GPS and that it's turned on)?
--
Cheers,
Roger