Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?

Old April 21st 17, 06:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roland Perry

Default Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?

In message , at 07:16:53 on Fri, 21 Apr
2017, Someone Somewhere remarked:
The issue of the second SIM slot only supporting 2G is not unknown,
indeed it has been discussed on here several times. The fact that the
supplier fails to tell you that said slot will only support 2G is down
to poor training.

It's got nothing to do with the physical slot (on my phone, at any
rate). It's all down to which *SIM* is designated for data - and this
can be in either slot, it doesn't matter. So slot 1 can be 3G and slot 2
2G, or vice versa. But they can't *both* be 3G at the same time.

That's your phone - different phones behave in different ways (my
OnePlus 2 actually seems to do 4G in both slots without issue).

Yes, it depends on the phone (or more likely the chipset). I've got two
perhaps 3yr-old-design dual-SIM phones and in both cases the second
*slot* is nailed down as 2G only.
--
Roland Perry
Old April 21st 17, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 21/04/2017 07:16, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 20/04/2017 21:18, Roger Mills wrote:

Will they? I don't recall anyone saying that '3' will fallback to 2G in
the UK. [It *will* roam onto 2G networks overseas].

Try recalling harder - it was a condition of the 5th license that they
could have national roaming on 2G. There are stories that this has been
scaled back since they launched such that it only works in areas where
they really don't have a 3G signal but it 100% definitely was there.

I wonder whether that only works when the SIM is in a 3G-capable phone?
That might explain why it doesn't work in a 2G slot in a dual SIM phone.

The issue of the second SIM slot only supporting 2G is not unknown,
indeed it has been discussed on here several times. The fact that the
supplier fails to tell you that said slot will only support 2G is down
to poor training.

It's got nothing to do with the physical slot (on my phone, at any
rate). It's all down to which *SIM* is designated for data - and this
can be in either slot, it doesn't matter. So slot 1 can be 3G and slot 2
2G, or vice versa. But they can't *both* be 3G at the same time.

That's your phone - different phones behave in different ways (my
OnePlus 2 actually seems to do 4G in both slots without issue).

I did say "on my phone at other rate". I can't speak for other phones.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old April 21st 17, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 4/21/2017 11:52 AM, Paul Cummins wrote:

Looking at their coverage maps though, there's lots of places where they
don;t have 3/4g coverage, and these are exactly the places where 2g
fallback is needed for emergency calls etc.

Orange/EE service (and 3) have been out of service in my area for a
number of weeks. About once a week, I get an email saying they're still
working on it.
At least BT has managed to repair the problems with the landlines, which
had lasted for a couple of months.
Satellite is looking more and more appealing...
Old April 23rd 17, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Pete Forman[_2_]

Roger Mills writes:

On 19/04/2017 23:26, Woody wrote:
"Roger wrote in message
On 19/04/2017 20:00, Friendly-Bookkeeper wrote:
Hi everyone, First post by me here, sorry if I seem a bit dim but I
need someone to help, if you can. I have a personal phone contract
with Tesco, had it for years, love it. I have a PAYG Sim from
Three, which is used so that I can work from home/ have flexible
office hours. It is a number which can be given to my company's
customers, so they can call me. I don't use any data on it, and
very rarely call/text out, as I have plenty of capacity to do that
on my personal contract if necessary - or I call them when I am
back in the office. I chose Three because any money we put on the
sim doesn't expire after a month, AND because they have WiFi
calling (Three in Touch), useful cos mobile reception in my house
can be a bit dodgy.

So for the last few months I've been carrying 2 phones about with
me, a pain in the bum. I've treated myself to a shiny new Moto g5
which takes 2 sims. my intention was that my tesco sim would be my
Primary sim - all outgoing calls/texts and data would use that sim,
and the Three sim would be secondary, simply there to receive
calls.

BUT .... the Three sim won't work as the secondary sim. After a lot
of faffing about and chats with three support over twitter, I find
that this is because whichever sim is set as the secondary sim only
uses 2g - and Three no longer supports 2g - so I can't make this
work as I'd like to.

So .. techy experts out there - do you know if any of the networks
still support 2g, and have wifi calling (is that even technically
possible)? If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would
be icing on the cake - but I think I'm pushing the boundaries too
far with that . Thanks for reading this far Angie

I had a very similar problem with my dual SIM Moto G2 phone.
Whichever SIM is set for using mobile data, uses 3G - and the other
SIM can only use 2G. As you rightly say, if this other SIM is a '3'
SIM, that won't work because '3' will *only* work on 3G (except when
roaming abroad - but that won't help you!)

I gave up trying to use '3' in my Moto G and put the '3'SIM back
into dumb phone which I keep for emergency use. I'm now using a
Delight SIM in the second slot. Like '3', this is a PAYG SIM whose
credit doesn't expire, but it uses the EE network and *will* work on
3G. Its charging is the same as '3' - 3-2-1. It's worth having a
look at. I'm afraid I don't know whether it supports wifi calling -
that's something I've never needed to do.

Er, not quite right there.

With Delight any unused credit is lost 90 days after your last top-up.
Have a look at Pete Forman's excellent site and in particular the
section at the bottom headed Inactivity.

https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com/

Well, I've only ever topped up once with £5 - and that was yonks ago.
I've just done a balance enquiry, and I've still got £3.99 left. How
do you explain that?

You should treat the period before credit expires as a legally
enforcable part of the terms and conditions. The better operators will
not empty your account immediately and will communicate about pending
expiry.

Someone posted recently that they had made use of calling credit some
time after it was due to expire. They did however lose the balance a bit
later than that.

+1 to earlier responses. I have a Moto G 2nd Gen (XT1068) with
FreedomPop (uses 3) in slot 1 and Talkmobile (uses Vodafone) in slot 2.
That does not work if the SIMs are swapped.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com
Old April 23rd 17, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 23/04/2017 14:29, Pete Forman wrote:

I have a Moto G 2nd Gen (XT1068) with
FreedomPop (uses 3) in slot 1 and Talkmobile (uses Vodafone) in slot 2.
That does not work if the SIMs are swapped.

When you say it doesn't work, what actually happens? Which SIM did you
enable for data?
--
Cheers,
Roger