End of Orange contract time - recommended options for Chilterns!?

Old July 26th 03, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Simon Watkins

Default End of Orange contract time - recommended options for Chilterns!?

Hi

Wife and I have a pair of T68s on Orange Everytime 20 and have come to the
end of contract. Would appreciate some advice on the best options for us.
OCS have said there will be a 50 upgrade fee as we are relatively low users
(calls at random times of day, usually peak times. I always go over my 20
minutes, wife rarely does).

However, my enquiry to OCS was only a casual one, as we have just moved from
Bedfordshire (spotty Orange coverage) to the Chilterns. Unfortunately the
Orange coverage there is worse. We've also suffered more dropped calls and
poor signal strength with Orange over the last 12 months than we ever did
with O2, previously, so I'm not keen on having more of the same. Other
factors - Kids have Virgin Mobile sims in their two phones. They rarely
need to call our mobiles, so not too much of a problem with X-Network.
However, in September, both are going to Boarding School, so it may be worth
us finding a sim for them that has lots of off-peak minutes for when they
call home (or is cheap for us to call from a land-line). We'd also like
them to have the T68s that we have now.

Questions:

What handsets should we be looking at, with Bluetooth, ideally without a
camera?

How is T-Mobile's coverage in the Chilterns, specifically Great Missenden?
I've looked at the coverage maps, and T-Mobile looks slightly better than
Orange, but I don't think the maps are a reliable guide - in locations that
Orange say they have good signal strength, I've not even been able to lock
onto the network, let alone make a call.

As we've been with Orange for 12 months, I understand we can get a PAC for
free? Or is it worth converting to OVP virgin given the other
considerations I've mentioned.

Appreciate any advice - the mobile company tariffs just get more and more
confusing!

Simon

Old July 26th 03, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
MJG

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:05:05 +0100, "Simon Watkins"
wrote:

Hi

Wife and I have a pair of T68s on Orange Everytime 20

SNIP

Just my two penneth.

Orange is obviously not your best option if you actually want better
coverage but for future ref. I find that if you do want to stay with
your existing provider actually requesting a PAC (Which is normally
valid for 30 days) but you are not forced to use, helps them focus
their minds.

When you ring back after relieving the PAC and say 'are you sure I
still have to pay xx ponds to upgrade??' they note on your file that
you have requested a PAC and are about to jump and all of a sudden
they are able to unearth some 'special upgrade deals' for existing
customers irrespective of your level of usage.

Just my experience, that of others may not be the same.

PS I have just upgraded to a t68i and am very happy with it. I would
give this phone some serious thought no matter which network you go
on, It's currently free with a camera (Which I do note you said you
were not bothered about) on Voda.

PPS Your t68s are likely to be locked so before you pass these to your
kids you will need to have them unlocked.

---
MJG

Take THEDOG out to email me.
Old July 27th 03, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry

"Simon Watkins" wrote in message
Hi
Wife and I have a pair of T68s on Orange Everytime 20.

snip
Unfortunately the Orange coverage there is worse.
We've also suffered more dropped calls and poor signal strength
with Orange over the last 12 months than we ever did

T68i are notoriously poor weak signal phones,
upgrade to better performing phones.

Why not upgrade with OCR to OVP 3 VT500 for 25quid a month ?
500 mins anytime to any network including the kids Virgin

You should get a much better performing T610 for around 80quid on the upgrade

Steve Terry