Old October 14th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Andy is offline

Default Privacy Numbers - scam?

"Paul D" wrote in message
.uk...
A few times recently my mobile has rung once and then stopped (no message
left).

Just now it happened again so I called the number back (masking my CLI
first). An announcement came on: "welcome to the privacy network. That
number is no longer in use". He then gave out the url of a 'privacy
number' website which I won't give out lest I get accused of spamming!

Basically the website gives you a free 07xxx xxx xxx number which you can
then divert to your actual number. It's only for people to call you and it
doesn't mask the CLI of your actual number when you dial out.

God knows how much it costs to phone one of these numbers. Also, how can I
have been called by a 'privacy' number when the announcement says that you
can't use it to call out?

Is this just a scheme/scam to tempt people into phoning the number back
and then signing up for a privacy number? (I'm sure it is!).

The number was 07096 809 401. Hopefully I haven't been charged an
extortionate amount to phone it.

Has anyone else had these one ring calls? Very annoying. Is there anything
I can do about it?

You're right to be cautious. It's a scam. 50p per minute at all times from a
BT landline to that number.

I had a similar (yet different) call to my mobile, that urged me to call
back. Costs them very little to make the call to you you, and it seems
enough people ring the 07096 number back, for them to make a profit.

You should log it with ICSTIS.

--
Andy.