Old November 28th 18, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 26/11/2018 17:01, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , Java Jive
writes:
Note the slovenly misdescription in the title and throughout the
article, for 'WiFi' read 'landline'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46346172

"Speed tests in 80 countries revealed wi-fi was left lagging in 33
nations, according to wireless coverage mapping company OpenSignal.

Mobile data should also get a further speed boost when 5G networks
arrived, it said.

Wi-fi remained the fastest way to go online in most countries
surveyed, including the UK and Ireland."

I agree it's _slightly_ sloppy usage, but the first line of text in the
article is the caption to the header picture, which specifically says
"wi-fi via a fixed line".

The whole thing seems to be a relay of a report (press release?) from
"wireless coverage mapping company OpenSignal.". I sense it's not
entirely objective - for example, <<OpenSignal said phone-makers needed
to "ensure they do not accidentally push consumers' smartphones on to a
wi-fi network with a worse experience than the mobile network". That
doesn't take account of the fact that most wi-fi networks are unlimited
usage, whereas most mobile data is paid (either by amount of data, or at
least has a daily/monthly/whatever cap), so using wifi where available
may be wise. (Besides, I think even my Android 4.2.2 has "use wi-fi
where available" as an _optional_ setting, i. e. can be turned off.)

The one that is critical is do not allow insane sized operating system
upgrades to download whilst on a paid for by volume of data connection.

My own 3G connection will run 20Mbps at home whereas my best fixed line
is 5M and for most rural domestic users round here 1-2M is more typical.
So apart from the data charges which sting a little 3G is way faster
(and 4G is a distant pipe dream - most masts here are still EDGE 2.5G).

Peer to peer microwave link is establishing itself in North Yorkshire as
it is faster than either and has lower data charges. Many have already
abandoned their fixed line in favour of this alternative. The only catch
is that you require strict unobstructed line of sight to another node.

Martin Brown