Old November 28th 18, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
NY NY is offline

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

"nospam" wrote in message
Most ISP provided modems are capable of 5GHz operation and 802.11n these
days - maybe you should ask your ISP to replace your antidiluvian unit.

while 5ghz is certainly preferred, 802.11n @ 2.4gz would be faster than
his 45mbit.

Depends whether there are other routers that use the same channel within
interference range. That would slow things down down a lot if there are
collisions.

Also, the range of 5 GHz is a *lot* less. Some devices, such as my wife's
iPad, try 5 GHz in preference, even if you give the two networks different
SSIDs, but then are reluctant to switch over to 2.4 even when 5 gets weak as
you move out of range. I eventually had to disable 5 GHz because her iPad
would struggle on at ludicrously low levels of signal (ie with a couple of
internal walls in between) rather than using 2.4 which was still very
usable.

I've yet to find a wireless laptop that communicates at more than about 80
Mbps (when doing a large file copy), even when there's nothing else on the
same channel, the router is capable of 400 and the laptop and router are
next to each other. My laptop tends to connect at about 40 Mbps (according
to Task Manager | Networking) but then gradually slows down to about 5. If I
disable the laptop's wifi and plug into the router by Ethernet, a big file
copy will run at about 100 Mbps - assuming I'm copying to another computer
on the LAN which is connected by wifi - so it's not computer or HDD speed
that is throttling it.

Wifi is great for portability, but I remain to be convinced that it is able
to match it for speed. For web browsing, the ADSL WAN speed is the limiting
factor, so you don't notice, but file access between two local computers
doesn't have that restriction so you should be able to get (in theory) 400
Mbps (assuming no other wifi traffic, and assuming Gigabit Ethernet to the
other computer.