Old December 6th 18, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive[_2_] Java Jive[_2_] is offline

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On 06/12/2018 16:22, Frank Slootweg wrote:

As I said, my 3 year old mid-range laptop does *not* have Gigabit
Ethernet. A new comparable laptop - same (major) brand/range and similar
price - *does* have Gigabit Ethernet, so AFAIC nospam's claim "made in
the past decade (actually longer than that)" is way over the top. Not
that that's unusual in any way, but still. (Anyway, it's a bit silly to
talk about the 'neccessity' of very high *hardwired* network speed for a
*mobile* device such as a laptop.)

As I've already pointed out, my Dell Latitude 610, purchased *used* in
February 2011, has Gigabit Ethernet, and this was one reason why I
purchased that particular one as opposed to other used laptops available
at the time.

I'm actually rather shocked that so much Fast Ethernet (10/100 Mbps) kit
is *still* being sold, though thankfully at least these days when you
examine the specs of used kit on eBay which claims to be Gigabit
Ethernet, thankfully it nearly always is - this didn't used to be the
case; about the same time as I bought the above laptop, almost the
majority of items such as switches described as Gigabit Ethernet
(10/100/1000 Mbps) were actually only Fast Ethernet (10/100 Mbps), and
in at least one case was actually only Ethernet (10 Mbps)!

I think the reason that there is so much Fast Ethernet kit still around
is the predominance of WiFi in at least the home market, perhaps also
the small office market. WiFi is not just more convenient, but, under
favourable conditions, 802.11n is actually faster than Fast Ethernet as
well, so manufacturers for these markets have tended to concentrate on
making equipment with the latest WiFi standards rather than the latest
cable standards. But it's a pig's dinner whichever way you look at it
- if you take off the cover of my network media players that will only
go at 10/100, actually they've got 10/100/1000 hardware, and I suspect
that's true of a lot of other 10/100 only kit as well, so why not design
the whole thing to support the latest cabled standards as well?