Old February 9th 19, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
MikeS MikeS is offline

Default Routers

On 08/02/2019 18:30, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

I'm looking for a new or decent second-hand (used) router which:
********* Is for the UK market and available here
********* Supports A/VDSL, Data SIM (perhaps via USB), & cable WAN
********* Has WiFi to n or ac standard
********* Has at least three or four Gigabit LAN ports
********* When in LAN DHCP mode, properly supports local DNS
********* Is affordable, say ~< £150 new, half that used.

Does anyone know of such a wondrous beast?

<https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bt-home-hub-5-type-a/202590913765

plus a USB dongle for 3/4G and whack openWRT on it.

I use OpenWRT but not with a USB dongle. As far as I recall it is
possible but only after a complicated install of several extra packages.
You need to be sure your chosen router will have sufficient space (the
old TP-Link routers I converted certainly do not).

If you are not familiar with OpenWRT suggest you read their Wiki pages
before buying a router to convert. If nothing else the specific model
needs to be in their extensive list of firmware downloads.