Old February 9th 19, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile

Default Routers

MikeS wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Does anyone know of such a wondrous beast?

<https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bt-home-hub-5-type-a/202590913765
plus a USB dongle for 3/4G and whack openWRT on it.

I use OpenWRT but not with a USB dongle. As far as I recall it is
possible but only after a complicated install of several extra packages.

Choose a dongle you've seen someone else has working.

You need to be sure your chosen router will have sufficient space (the
old TP-Link routers I converted certainly do not).

HH5a has 128MB of flash and the same of RAM, quite a change from the
original WRT54G with 4MB and 16MB

If you are not familiar with OpenWRT suggest you read their Wiki pages
before buying a router to convert. If nothing else the specific model
needs to be in their extensive list of firmware downloads.

And the HH5a is on the list, as far as I'm concerned it *is* the
wonderbeast of openWRT devices, all gigabit ports, internal ADSL/VDSL
modem, dual band "ac" wifi, USB port ... all for £5

Yes you need some linux knowledge, but I'm sure Charles can handle that,
you need to be able to crack open the case and solder the serial console
connection, but if your eyesight isn't up to that just buy one of the
£20 pre-hacked versions that are also plentiful on eBay.