Old February 10th 19, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Java Jive[_2_] Java Jive[_2_] is offline

Default Routers

On 09/02/2019 11:52, Andy Burns wrote:

MikeS wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Does anyone know of such a wondrous beast?

<https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bt-home-hub-5-type-a/202590913765
plus a USB dongle for 3/4G and whack openWRT on it.

Thanks. Got it for under a tenner inc P&P :-) Got to be worth it even
if only on an experimental basis!

I use OpenWRT but not with a USB dongle. As far as I recall it is
possible but only after a complicated install of several extra packages.

Choose a dongle you've seen someone else has working.

I already have a Huawei E3372, which I'm hoping will work.

And the HH5a is on the list, as far as I'm concerned it *is* the
wonderbeast of openWRT devices, all gigabit ports, internal ADSL/VDSL
modem, dual band "ac" wifi, USB port ... all for £5

Yes, got to be worth a try before lashing out on anything more expensive.

Yes you need some linux knowledge, but I'm sure Charles can handle that,
you need to be able to crack open the case and solder the serial console
connection, but if your eyesight isn't up to that just buy one of the
£20 pre-hacked versions that are also plentiful on eBay.

That's not so good - these days it's not so much eyesight as
steadiness of hand with the soldering iron. Even the Cisco LinkSys
WT320n with a standard pitch edge connector was a little fraught, but,
anyway, when it arrives, I'll see what I can do with it.

Tx.