Old March 28th 19, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default OT - GSM Roaming in Mexico - Not

On 28/03/2019 13:17, tim... wrote:
Hi,

I have a basic phone - a Samsung GT E-1200i which I happily roam around
the world with (voice and text only - obviously)

but not when I got to Mexico - no signal for the whole of my time there.

I have an Asda PAYG SIM in it.* My data phone, with the same SIM type
worked perfectly, so that's not the issue.* (but unfortunately no-one
has that number to call me on, so I don't get incoming calls on it)

I note that Mexico uses GSM 850/1900 not the 900/1800 used in Europe,
but then so does all of Central America and the phone worked perfectly
well when we travelled into Guatemala.

Not necessarily true - according to Wikipedia (and some other sources),
Claro offer service on GSM 900 in Guatemala, wheereas there are no
Mexican operators that have service on 900/1800 which I believe is all
the frequencies your phone supports.