Old June 12th 19, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
R. Mark Clayton[_2_] R. Mark Clayton[_2_] is offline

Default USB-C question

On Wednesday, 12 June 2019 17:09:07 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
I have finally replaced my phone after all repair attempts failed. I
bought a Pixel 3a, attracted by the offer of updates direct from
Google instead of relying on third parties (which has proved
unreliable in the past).

The phone comes with an 18 watt charger and USB-C lead. However, this
is a three-pin charger, and I also want a two-pin (euro) charger for
use overseas. I can't see any to purchase and I do not anticipate
Google providing one FOC. It occurs to me that I could buy a USB-C to
USB lead and use an existing charger. Clearly, charging would take
longer. Google counsel against this on the basis that a less powerful
charger my not charge the phone and may cause damage. Is this a real
concern with a reputable charger or are they really trying to
discourage poor qualty equipment?

Scott

PS Does anyone want a Moto G4 Play? It is perfectly okay apart from
not making any calls or sending any texts so may interest anyone with
electronics knowledge. Free to a good home!

1. lower output chargers should work and charge the phone more slowly.
2. Very cheap chargers might be out of spec' on voltage, low output or disobey USB commands, but decent ones should be OK.
3. Marny chargers have interchangeable main plug faces - Motorola definitely (but proprietary phone plug), and an adapter for a portable TV we bought recently.