Old November 8th 19, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Theo is offline

Default Open Letter To Mobile Suppliers

In uk.telecom.broadband Bev wrote:
On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 14:43:48 +0000, Theo wrote:

I think FTTP gets used when there isn't a suitable FTTC solution. We
could have 'up to' 2Mbps ADSL on copper (3.5km from the exchange by
crow), and evidently this wasn't really good enough. So FTTP has been
strung along the same poles, providing (tiers up to) a gigabit service.

Excuse my butting in here... do you have FTTP installed to your own home
and, if so, what was the process that was followed please?

FTTP was installed when we moved in, presumably by previous occupants.

There are two cables coming from the pole:
- a regular copper line, which provides the phone services
- a fibre

The fibre is hooked up to an Openreach-branded Huawei HG612 ONT (FTTP
modem). The modem is powered from a mains socket and there's a separate
battery backup box with 4 AA NiMH cells (BYD branded). This dates the
install to a few years old since they don't provide these boxes any more.

The FTTP modem provides ethernet to the ISP's router (eg BT HomeHub), which
I think carries PPPoE. There are two analogue phone sockets on the ONT, but
we don't use these. In a local new-build there's the same box but phones
plugged in - I assume there is no copper line installed.

I ask as it is anticipated that we should be getting it also within the
next few months (once a number of trees have been cut back to permit the
fibre to be strung along the electricity poles) but reading the various
reports on the internet it seems that installation methods have changed
somewhat over time. The ideal solution, for me, would be to carry the
fibre optic cable straight through the gable wall into the loft and then
down through the ceiling into the study. This would follow the route of
the existing telephone line.

Various reports suggest that either:
this is indeed possible or
that it is not and it has to terminate at a box on the outside

Our cable route is slightly different:
- the copper line comes on a dropwire from the pole into the loft, where
there's a master socket lying on the fibreglass, from whence it's split off
into various rooms' phone sockets.
- the fibre meets the house at the same point, but runs down the wall to
about 18" off the ground, when there's a small grey box and it goes through
the wall. The ONT is mounted on the other side of the wall (next to a power
socket).

I suspect the reason for doing it this way is they don't want to joint the
fibre, as the ONT is the boundary of the Openreach network. If you were
willing to mount the ONT in the loft (providing it with power, and onward
ethernet and phone cables) that might work. You'd still have your router
in the study on the end of the ethernet.

https://superuser.com/questions/1311...our-fttp-point
(last answer) suggests a fibre coupler and patch cord have been used to
extend the Openreach fibre and allow moving the ONT. This would be
'unofficial' - you'd probably have to move it back for service callouts.

Someone's recent experience would be gratefully received so that I can
begin to make my own preparations for the install.

If you can install a handy mains socket where the ONT might go in the loft,
you might persuade them of this plan.

I don't know what current install practice is.

Theo

Mobile Banter Database Error
Database Error Database error
The Mobile Banter database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.mobilebanter.co.uk home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.mobilebanter.co.uk forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.