Old November 10th 19, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Theo is offline

Default Open Letter To Mobile Suppliers

In uk.telecom.broadband AnthonyL wrote:
The village/hamlet is basically on a single dead end street at the
start of which are the existing BT cabinets. Nothing is more than a
mile away and the cabinets themselves are about 5km (cable route) from
the exchange. The general expectation was FTTC and I imagine most
would be delighted with 20Mbps-30Mbps. Getting FTTP was somewhat a
surprise and as an outsider I'm bemused.

The households are fed from overhead as well even if the main feeds
are underground.

If the copper is already poled, and there's only 60 premises, I could see
that stacking up for FTTP. Cheaper than having to sort out a power feed to
the cabinets and install a FTTC node to serve such a small number of
premises. They need to string fibre as far as the cabinet anyway.

I think our copper is an exchange-only line (the exchange being 3.5km down
an A road) which would make it cheaper to install FTTP than a local cabinet.

Theo