Old July 28th 03, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
L L is offline

Default Newbie question: usb vs serial cable for Nokia

Hi all,

Just looking for a little advice, I have recently bought a Nokia 6610 which
I'm really pleased with and I now want to connect it to my pc to add
ringtones, pictures, archive my phonebook etc. I know I need to get a cable
to do this but I am confused over wich one is best? I know usb will be
faster than a serial port connection but is this the only advantage?

Also, does the brand of the cable matter or will the eBay cheap ones do the
same job? Then I've heard about this infared thing? Is that worth the
effort?

Advice greatfully received!
L ;o)

Old July 28th 03, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"L" wrote in message
Hi all,

Just looking for a little advice, I have recently bought a Nokia

6610 which
I'm really pleased with and I now want to connect it to my pc to

add
ringtones, pictures, archive my phonebook etc. I know I need to

get a cable
to do this but I am confused over wich one is best? I know usb

will be
faster than a serial port connection but is this the only

advantage?

Also, does the brand of the cable matter or will the eBay cheap

ones do the
same job? Then I've heard about this infared thing? Is that worth

the
effort?

Advice greatfully received!
L ;o)

I bought a cheap ebay one - waste of money

Old July 28th 03, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

the cheaper ones wont work with nokia pc suite but will work with mobimb and
oxygen phone manager.

An infra red device is probably a better investment as it will work with all
the software and can be used on other phones and not just one type.

Take a look at my website for various options.
www.irwebonline.com

www.irwebonline.com
(MSN + Email)
TEL : 07740360253
--Mobile Phone Accessories--
Retail + Trade Supplier

Old July 28th 03, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
MJG MJG is offline

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:37:42 +0000 (UTC), "Simon Birley"
wrote:

the cheaper ones wont work with nokia pc suite but will work with mobimb and
oxygen phone manager.

I suppose it depends what the OP means by cheap. I bought a
'non-genuine' one for a 6310i and it worked fine with Nokia PC suite.

---
MJG

Take THEDOG out to email me.