Old April 21st 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default GSM and GSM-R masts

Does anyone know about Network Rail's proposed GSM-R in-cab radio
system?

It's meant to be based on GSM, but seems to require many more, and
much bigger, masts. GSM masts, which typically are no more than 15
metres (49 feet) high, have a theoretical range of up to about 35
kilometres (22 miles). So one mast could in theory cover a total
distance of 70 kilometres.

GSM-R masts are more than twice as high (33 metres or 108 feet) and
Network Rail wants to place them on average 7.9 kilometres (4.9 miles)
apart.

Can anyone explain this, please?

Chris

Old April 22nd 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

theoretical range of up to about 35
kilometres (22 miles). So one mast could in theory cover a total
distance of 70 kilometres.

As you said, its theoretical range so maybe they want to ensure that they
get good reception as train safety may be an issue.

Maybe post this to the Nortel newsgroup (if its still going) as I think
Nortel maybe providing the BaseStations for this but dont quote me on it.

Old April 22nd 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

theoretical range of up to about 35
kilometres (22 miles). So one mast could in theory cover a total
distance of 70 kilometres.

As you said, its theoretical range so maybe they want to ensure that they
get good reception as train safety may be an issue.

Maybe post this to the Nortel newsgroup (if its still going) as I think
Nortel maybe providing the BaseStations for this but dont quote me on it.

Plans to hide mobile masts turdweld UK Mobile Phones 14 November 1st 05 11:55 PM
Scary fact about transmitter masts Ian Spencer UK Mobile Phones 69 January 15th 04 10:05 PM
Phone masts - can SP share with each other? GJP UK Mobile Phones 5 November 26th 03 11:22 PM
Phone masts? . UK Mobile Phones 6 August 21st 03 06:19 PM
M1 - Junction 18 to 19 - a lot of masts, ideas? NorwichLad UK Mobile Phones 22 August 20th 03 07:41 PM