Old July 29th 03, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Why are 0800 numbers chargeable on mobile but not landline?

Evpuneq Erivf wrote:
wrote:

As per subject: Why are 0800 numbers chargeable on mobile but not
landline?

Even that's not strictly true unless your landline provider is BT, some
landline providers charge for / or prevent access to 0800 (0808 etc)
numbers - can't remember which ones but this has been discussed before so
google groups might be able to help

Because the mobile networks believe that the 0800 revenue is
insufficient to pay for connecting the call (except Orange, who still
don't charge for 0800 voice I believe - at least I've not had
notification of it for my OVP Virgin or ED50 accounts yet).

You may not have had notification but 0800 (including voice) is chargeable
on OVP Virgin and has been for quite a few months now, and all 0800 data has
been chargeable for around a year on all Orange tariffs.

Virgin Mobile have a limited amount of 0800 numbers that can be called for
free (e.g. AA, Childline etc) - list is on their web site.

Old July 30th 03, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

--
ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT HERE FROM ONLY $4.99!
Old July 30th 03, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"timco" wrote in message
"Nadeem" wrote in message
Evpuneq Erivf wrote:
wrote:

<snip
Just to add in; 0800 is not free, it might be to you the umble user,
but the organisation who uses the 0800 number is paying for the call, so.

It isn't free to Orange YP, HSData, and ED50 users either,
an undisclosed part of one's monthly service charge goes towards
the included service of free 0800 inc.

Steve Terry

Old July 31st 03, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:20:27 +0100, Nadeem wrote:
Even that's not strictly true unless your landline provider is BT, some
landline providers charge for / or prevent access to 0800 (0808 etc)
numbers - can't remember which ones but this has been discussed before so
google groups might be able to help

In Halls of Residence at Southampton University, the phone system is provided
by NTL "Connect.ed", they claim that 0800 numbers are barred. I believe there
was outcry about this, and I certainly was able to ring the Student Loan people
from it on their 0800 number, I don't recall if they charged me or not.

--
Andrew Paul Landells
WWW pages at <http://www.landells.cjb.net
Old July 31st 03, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Gaz Gaz is offline

. ..

wrote:
Even that's not strictly true unless your landline provider is BT, some
landline providers charge for / or prevent access to 0800 (0808 etc)
numbers - can't remember which ones but this has been discussed before

so
google groups might be able to help

In Halls of Residence at Southampton University, the phone system is

provided
by NTL "Connect.ed", they claim that 0800 numbers are barred. I believe

there
was outcry about this, and I certainly was able to ring the Student Loan

people
from it on their 0800 number, I don't recall if they charged me or not.

They did charge you, but you don't have to pay until you graduate, where you
have 15yrs to pay it off in installments.

Gaz