Old July 29th 03, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Why are 0800 numbers chargeable on mobile but not landline?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:51:12 +0100, "" wrote:

As per subject: Why are 0800 numbers chargeable on mobile but not
landline?
If an 0800 number is free, are the networks "allowed" to charge us? Why
can they get away with charging us? Curious but intrigued by this
situation!

Because the British have lost their 'consumer sensitivity'; the thing
they possessed in the late 1970's after the oil crisis and hard times,
which led to marvelous pieces of legislation like the Sales of Goods
Act, government organisations like the Advertising Standards Authority
and the Monopolies and Mergers Commission and (God between us and all
harm) Oftel.........and even market funded organisations like Which?

These institutions (and pieces of legislation supporting them) now
serve a mere shadow of the principles under which they were originally
conceived. They are now just tolerated. The 'will' has gone. Money is
too easy and times are too good. The ASA does some good work, even
today, but the rest are a joke. In the 1970's it was anathema to
advertise something as 'free' and not provide it free. Three decades
later there is no outcry when the same thing happens.

Come the revolution................or a good old economy-cleansing
recession.........or both..............

Peter

Old July 30th 03, 04:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Peter" wrote in message

[snip]

In the 1970's it was anathema to
advertise something as 'free' and not provide it free. Three decades
later there is no outcry when the same thing happens.

What gets my goat is when something is advertised as *absolutely* free,
then you see the list of conditions, i.e. absolutely free when you buy a
new phone from xxxxxxx..!! Erm.. I thought that *absolutely* free meant
there *were* no conditions..!! Like "Buy one, get one free" - I always
want to ask at the checkout in Tesco's "can I just have the free one..?!"

Come the revolution................or a good old economy-cleansing
recession.........or both..............

To comment on the OP's question, 0800 numbers are free on some (but not
all) contracts, but not on PAYG, AFAIK. I don't pay for them on my Orange
contract but I do on the PAYG one (well no I don't..!!)

Ivor

Old July 30th 03, 08:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 05:27:36 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

In the 1970's it was anathema to
advertise something as 'free' and not provide it free. Three decades
later there is no outcry when the same thing happens.

What gets my goat is when something is advertised as *absolutely* free,
then you see the list of conditions, i.e. absolutely free when you buy a
new phone from xxxxxxx..!! Erm.. I thought that *absolutely* free meant
there *were* no conditions..!! Like "Buy one, get one free" - I always
want to ask at the checkout in Tesco's "can I just have the free one..?!"

I remember a case many years ago when a new larger sized bottle of
soft drink was labelled "25% Free". Someone opened the bottle, drank
25% of it and put it back on the shelf without paying. The case went
to court where it was ruled he'd done nothing wrong. I think companies
were more careful with their wording after that.

Old July 30th 03, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
What gets my goat is when something is advertised as *absolutely* free,
then you see the list of conditions, i.e. absolutely free when you buy a
new phone from xxxxxxx..!!

Mobile Operators say "get our contract, and every month we'll give you a few
"free" minutes call time*"

* excludes calls to 0800, 0845, 0870, 090x,
0<another-and-another-and-another, calls to this not included, nor that,
nor this, or that, in fact you can't use it for naff all except calling home
pretty much

IT'S NOT FREE. IT'S *INCLUSIVE*

If it said "get our contract pay 35 a month and you get 750 minutes
inclusive" I'd not moan so much. I just hate the way it's "get 500 minutes
FREE EVERY MONTH". No. Cause if I fail to pay you x every damn month, you
no longer give me the free thing. It's so not free.

Damn I feel better now.

Vince

Old August 4th 03, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Chris Spyrou" wrote in message
Vince wrote:
IT'S NOT FREE. IT'S *INCLUSIVE*

If it said "get our contract pay 35 a month and you get 750 minutes
inclusive" I'd not moan so much. I just hate the way it's "get 500
minutes FREE EVERY MONTH". No. Cause if I fail to pay you x every
damn month, you no longer give me the free thing. It's so not free.

Damn I feel better now.

I haven't seen the correct wording for a while, but I'm pretty sure

Orange
will not pay dealers any marketing bonuses if the words 'free minutes'
are used in any ads. 'Inclusive minutes' needs to be used.

My pet hate is when someone says "absolutely free when you buy....."
Erm.. doesn't "absolutely free" mean just that, no conditions..?

Ivor