Old July 30th 03, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Free Landline PAYG - NEW Handset

I've got a very old Philips C12 PAYG on BTCellnet (Now O2). The sim only
seems to works in a Philips C12.

The PAYG has a 500min FREE to one landline number which is quite good for
when I go away working down south & can fone back home.
BUT I hate the Philips C12 & would like to change my handset.

I've tried the sim in a Nokia 5510, Samsung T100 & SE T610, but still
doesn't work.

Anyone have any idea if I can change the handset or am I stuck with this
brick.

--
Gerry aka (The MOTH)
SG1 Edinburgh

'Time is short. Life is cruel. Its up to us to change, this town called
malice'

Old July 30th 03, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Gerry (The Moth)" wrote in message
I've got a very old Philips C12 PAYG on BTCellnet (Now O2). The sim only
seems to works in a Philips C12.

The PAYG has a 500min FREE to one landline number which is quite good for
when I go away working down south & can fone back home.
BUT I hate the Philips C12 & would like to change my handset.

I've tried the sim in a Nokia 5510, Samsung T100 & SE T610, but still
doesn't work.

Anyone have any idea if I can change the handset or am I stuck with this
brick.

nope, it won't work in any other phones i'm afraid - and sadly o2 won't even
hear anything of allowing it to work on other phones. something to do with
credit being stored on the phone or something?

Old July 30th 03, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

NorwichLad wrote:
"Gerry (The Moth)" wrote in message

I've got a very old Philips C12 PAYG on BTCellnet (Now O2). The sim only
seems to works in a Philips C12.

The PAYG has a 500min FREE to one landline number which is quite good for
when I go away working down south & can fone back home.
BUT I hate the Philips C12 & would like to change my handset.

I've tried the sim in a Nokia 5510, Samsung T100 & SE T610, but still
doesn't work.

Anyone have any idea if I can change the handset or am I stuck with this
brick.

nope, it won't work in any other phones i'm afraid - and sadly o2 won't even
hear anything of allowing it to work on other phones. something to do with
credit being stored on the phone or something?

AIUI that's right. The early Cellnet PAYG C12s had some jiggery-pokery
that meant that the credit was stored on the (combination of that
particular handset and that particular SIM). This means that the SIM
won't work in any other handset and, IIRC, no other SIM will work in
that handset. It also meant that the handset could be chipped in some
nefarious manner to get free calls. Later handsets and those on other
networks store the credit wholly "in the network" (i.e. not associated
with that handset at all), so aren't prone to chipping and allow
swapping of SIMs between handsets. I also STR that those Cellnet
handsets were the only ones to allow PAYG roaming at one time (as the
credit could be run down locally in the handset as the call was made).

--
Tony

Old July 30th 03, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Tony Walton wrote:
NorwichLad wrote:
"Gerry (The Moth)" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Correct, the SIM will only work in the phone in which it was supplied. You
can't even put the SIM in another identical phone on the same tarrif.
Hoever, you can use a new SIM in the old phone if you want, but only a
Cellnet/O2 one.