Old June 10th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Faster/Cheaper mobile Opera browser access?

Opera have created a "paid for" web proxy which strips out content that is
unnessecary for mobile browsers. It also reduces image sizes since they
will be displyed on a small screen. They claim this will reduce the size
of Web pages by approximately 50-70%. Obviously this results in two
things.

1. Pages load faster

2. It decreaes your data usage and hence shoudl make browsing cheaper.

You can find more information he

http://www.opera.com/products/smartphone/accelerator/

What are people's thoughts?

The first things I thought of whe

1. Why just a proxy for Opera (as nice a mobile browser as it is!)?
Couldn't someone create a proxy that striped down and optimized pages for
all mobile browsers?

2. Does anyone already provide this? In particular are there free proxies
optimised to limit the amount of bandwidth consumed for mobile users
already?

3. Also why would the networks partner with Opera couldn't they just
provide this service themselves?

P.S. You can simulate Opera's small screen rendering technology (found in
the mobile version of their browser) within the regular Opera by pressing
Ctrl+F11.

--
The email address this message was posted from is valid but will expire.
If you want to contact me several days after my posting you can find a

Old June 10th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:57:24 -0400, Ruari Callow
wrote:

1. Why just a proxy for Opera (as nice a mobile browser as it is!)?
Couldn't someone create a proxy that striped down and optimized pages for
all mobile browsers?

Good question

2. Does anyone already provide this? In particular are there free proxies
optimised to limit the amount of bandwidth consumed for mobile users
already?

I don't know. The proxy service that Pogo browsers used was superb: it
scaled all images down to half size, and so made the file sizes a
quarter or less, and it worked well. I wish the Pogo battery was as
good.

Seems to me that this would be a useful web service to offer, but I
don't know of anyone who does. At a pinch, it could be funded by
advertising.

I was about to say the networks should offer this themselves but I just
had a thought. The networks want you to use as much data as possible (and
hence make the most money out of you) so they may not be interested.

Perhaps Opera have found themselves a nice little market with ongoing
revenue. They should provide two options though. One with advertising
which is 'free' and the paid for proxy that they currently offer for those
who won't put up with the adverts. Much the same way they sell their
desktop browser.

Still a market for another player though who offers mobile optimized
proxies for all mobile web browsers. Opera have no incentive for this as
they want to push and promote there own browser.

Old June 10th 04, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

I've used Access.NetFront and that has a low image setting which works
ok
--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity
Old June 11th 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Ruari Callow" wrote in message
x.com...

wrote:

[...]

The reqwireless web browser (java-based) does this by default as I
understand it, and that's a single-payment, not subscription based. There's
no way I'd pay 30 euros a year for it.

On the other hand there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to set up your
own version of this using an always-on adsl connection at home. I'm sure
apache or squid with some simple scripts would be able to do something along
these lines - searching around might even produce something to do it
automatically.

Geoff