Old September 7th 04, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Tesco mobile and GPRS data connections

I found some earlier posts on this subject using Google
but I am not sure if this particular question has now
been answered -

I have bought a PAYG SIM from Tesco to use in my employers
Nokia 6310i. The Tesco Mobile customer services were very
helpful and set up my WAP over GPRS connection, but now I
would like to connect to the internet through my laptop
using just GPRS or to another computer with a standard
PSTN type modem. The separate GPRS settings menu on the phone
is empty - so, is it a simple case of completing the details
to get connected or does Tesco Mobile need to make more
changes to the phone ? If I can do it myself what are the
settings such as 'GPRS access point' ?

TIA, Colin

Old September 8th 04, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Colin MacDougall" wrote in message
I found some earlier posts on this subject using Google
but I am not sure if this particular question has now
been answered -

I have bought a PAYG SIM from Tesco to use in my employers
Nokia 6310i. The Tesco Mobile customer services were very
helpful and set up my WAP over GPRS connection, but now I
would like to connect to the internet through my laptop
using just GPRS or to another computer with a standard
PSTN type modem. The separate GPRS settings menu on the phone
is empty - so, is it a simple case of completing the details
to get connected or does Tesco Mobile need to make more
changes to the phone ? If I can do it myself what are the
settings such as 'GPRS access point' ?
TIA, Colin

Why do you want a Tesco Sim when an O2 online PAYT Sim for 99p
gives you loads of inc GPRS Wap and 300 text a month for a Tenner
top up you can use on calls?

Steve Terry

Old September 8th 04, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Steve Terry" wrote in message
[...]

Have you found a way to do full net on O2 PAYT? I thought the only answer
was Orange ATM.

--
Stuart

Autumn Sale - register BIZ domains for $4.95
http://www.bizzy.net/

Old September 8th 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 13:59:37 +0100, Stuart wrote:

Why do you want a Tesco Sim when an O2 online PAYT Sim for 99p
gives you loads of inc GPRS Wap and 300 text a month for a Tenner
top up you can use on calls?

Have you found a way to do full net on O2 PAYT? I thought the only answer
was Orange ATM.

I managed last night to adapt Ruari Callow's instructions to get an SSH
session running on Virgin Mobile GPRS.

I wonder if it can be adapted to O2... is there an O2 WAP APN reachable
proxy server on port 8080?

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani MailStripper -- www.eridani.co.uk/MailStripper -- Uncovers Everything!
Old September 8th 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Soruk" wrote in message

Have you found a way to do full net on O2 PAYT? I thought the only answer
was Orange ATM.

I managed last night to adapt Ruari Callow's instructions to get an SSH
session running on Virgin Mobile GPRS.

Sadly I (and at least one other) have failed to get Virgin GPRS working on a
Treo180. It will connect - but nothing routes. That is using exactly the
same settings that work with the same SIM in a T39. This is weird. Settings
triple checked and multiple WAP & HTTP browsers tested on every conceivable
port. Treo GPRS has no probs with Orange JT, Orange contract & O2 PAYG SIMs.