Old September 26th 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Ant Ant is offline

Default O2 charges to ported numbers and 0870 numbers

I am currently on Orange, but am thinking of switching to O2 Online
Business. This would give me 100 any time any network minutes, 20
texts, 1 Meg of data and a free SIM card for 11.50 a month. There are
two questions I can't find a definitive answer to.

Firstly, if I port my old 07973 number over to O2, will my friends on
O2 Pay-as-you-go be able to call me at the same-network rate? I have
read that the anomaly of charging ported numbers at off-net rate was
removed when O2 updated their database system recently. However, the
O2 website still states very clearly: "Important notice: With effect
from 18 October 2002, calls to 070 numbers will be at 50ppm and calls
to 0871 numbers will be at 35ppm at all times. O2 Mobiles excludes
mobiles that have joined O2 from other networks but retained their
mobile number. These will be charged as calls to other mobiles. Calls
to customers that have left O2 but retained their mobile number on
their new network will be charged at our published rates for calls to
other mobile networks (ie 50ppm). Minimum call charge for voice calls
is 5p, except Premium rate calls where it is the equivalent of 1
minute ." Does anybody KNOW FOR A FACT whether the website is correct
or out of date?

Secondly, would calls to 0870 numbers count as part of my inclusive
minutes? I'm guessing not, as the website says "Free minutes apply to
standard rate calls, voicemail, calls to other all mobiles." If that
means I'd have to pay an extra 35ppm, unfortunately that would scupper
the whole plan, as I call 0870 numbers a lot.

Assuming the answer to my last question is in the negative, can
anybody tell me the cheapest tariff for me to use to make 50 minutes
of calls a month to 0870 numbers? I don't need any free texts and I
can live without data, but I want to avoid the 3 and T-Mobile
networks.

Any help from people in the know will be gratefully received.

Old September 26th 04, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Ant" wrote in message
om...
I am currently on Orange, but am thinking of switching to O2 Online
Business. This would give me 100 any time any network minutes, 20
texts, 1 Meg of data and a free SIM card for 11.50 a month. There are
two questions I can't find a definitive answer to.

Firstly, if I port my old 07973 number over to O2, will my friends on
O2 Pay-as-you-go be able to call me at the same-network rate?

No O2 will have their cake and eat it (i.e. everyone will have to pay X
network rates)

[...]

Nothing is a fact with O2 - just assume the worst - especially for billing.

See above, however have a look at www.saynoto0870.com.

Assuming the answer to my last question is in the negative, can
anybody tell me the cheapest tariff for me to use to make 50 minutes
of calls a month to 0870 numbers? I don't need any free texts and I
can live without data, but I want to avoid the 3 and T-Mobile
networks.

Any help from people in the know will be gratefully received.

BTW the standards of O2 CS are widely discussed in this group, in particular
the ease of contacting O2 Online and getting a [satisfactory] response seem
to feature a lot. Orange must have really messed up for you to want to make
this jump!

Old September 26th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Ant" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi I will just give you a short reply from your notes. I have the same O2
sim only deal @ 11.50 per month. I can't be sure on the number porting
option because when I ring my friends ported number it comes out of my
minutes.

0845 and 0870 numbers DO come out of your free minutes. I know this because
I use them a lot and that's the only reason I stay with O2. Not much point
in staying if they get rid. Calls to 0871 numbers DO NOT come out of your
allowance.

Your 100 minutes can be rolled over for up to 3 months which is handy if
your not using it a lot. Beware of the premium rate customer service number
too if your ever need to call them. It's charged at 25p per minute for the
Biz 11.50 tariff and 50p per minute for the online standard tariffs.

Old September 26th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Ant Ant is offline

Thanks for the speedy responses!

It's excellent news that 0870 will count towards my 100 inclusive
minutes, and this has persuaded me to go ahead with the switch.

I think I'll try to port my number and see what happens. If anyone on
O2 PAYG complains, I can always get a new number later as the SIM cards
are free. I doubt they will, though, as all the PAYG-ers use texts
almost exclusively over calls. They can text me and I'll call them
back.

Regarding the premium-rate customer service number, I found this posted
in another thread: "From the 17th September 2004 O2 will be introducing
a new national rate number 0870 600 3009 for Online customers to
contact us by. This number will eventually replace the existing 0906
302 5151 Premium Rate Number which has been a source of complaint from
this group of customers. The short code 5151 which is also a premium
number will eventually be changed to match the cost of the new number."

I would trust this group as an information source over customer service
operators. I've only ever rung CS when I know what I want them to do,
not to ask questions and, as such, I've never had a problem. My reasons
for leaving Orange are that O2 has better coverage in a couple places
where I need it and, more immediately, I've received a letter from
Orange informing me that they're abolishing my tariff, and I don't like
any of their new ones.

Thanks again for the tips.

Old September 27th 04, 03:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Ant" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the speedy responses!
It's excellent news that 0870 will count towards my 100 inclusive
minutes, and this has persuaded me to go ahead with the switch.

<snip

You can call 0870 out of your inc Orange mins through Predial,
after clocking up some points calling landlines.

I'd want a much better reason than inc 0870, to port from Orange
to O2 Online contract !

All mobile networks now bill correctly according to the network called,
not by the prefix. Landline networks do bill according to the prefix.

So all mobile callers will be charged calling you on O2,
whatever your number.

Steve Terry

Old September 27th 04, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Ant" wrote in message
om...
I am currently on Orange, but am thinking of switching to O2 Online
Business. This would give me 100 any time any network minutes, 20
texts, 1 Meg of data and a free SIM card for 11.50 a month. There are
two questions I can't find a definitive answer to.

Firstly, if I port my old 07973 number over to O2, will my friends on
O2 Pay-as-you-go be able to call me at the same-network rate? I have
Does anybody KNOW FOR A FACT whether the website is correct
or out of date?

I belive this was fixed (some time in the last 12 months or so I belive).
It should now be charged properly.

Secondly, would calls to 0870 numbers count as part of my inclusive
minutes? I'm guessing not, as the website says "Free minutes apply to
standard rate calls, voicemail, calls to other all mobiles." If that
means I'd have to pay an extra 35ppm, unfortunately that would scupper
the whole plan, as I call 0870 numbers a lot.

Yes 0870 is inclusive - one of the best things about O2 (i'd leave if they
weren't)

Assuming the answer to my last question is in the negative, can
anybody tell me the cheapest tariff for me to use to make 50 minutes
of calls a month to 0870 numbers? I don't need any free texts and I
can live without data, but I want to avoid the 3 and T-Mobile
networks.

No, as 0870 isn't inclusive on orange or vodafone (nor is it on three or
t-mobile, but 50 mins would only cost a fiver on t-mobile - all 08x is
10ppm)

Regards,
Sam

Any help from people in the know will be gratefully received.

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293.

Old September 28th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Albrow SJ" wrote in message

"Ant" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Three contracts are not so good, but Threepay PAYG allows you to call 0870
and 0871 numbers with the inclusive bundle of minutes So it is very good
for using our call-through numbers with!

--
Mikael

* http://www.pre-dial.com * International Calls from 4p per min *
.'^`'. Great rates on national and international mobiles .'^`'.