Old October 29th 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Scancom privacy warning

Some months ago I bought a mobile phone from Scancom. Whenever I sign up to
a website, I sign up with an e-mail address unique to that site, because I
own my own domain name I can choose whatever address I like at that domain.

Today, I received one of those typical "bounce" e-mails you get when a
spammer sends out spam using your e-mail address in the "From" line, and the
spam bounces and so comes back to you, even though you didn't send it.

Shockingly, the spam was sent from the e-mail address I gave to Scancom.

If you value the privacy of your e-mail address, think carefully before
signing up with Scancom.

Old October 29th 04, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Dan Dan is offline

David Glover wrote:
If you value the privacy of your e-mail address, think carefully
before signing up with Scancom.

Sounds like a Scam-con!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dan.

Old October 29th 04, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"David Glover" wrote in message
.. .
Some months ago I bought a mobile phone from Scancom. Whenever I sign up
to a website, I sign up with an e-mail address unique to that site,
because I own my own domain name I can choose whatever address I like at
that domain.

Today, I received one of those typical "bounce" e-mails you get when a
spammer sends out spam using your e-mail address in the "From" line, and
the spam bounces and so comes back to you, even though you didn't send it.

Shockingly, the spam was sent from the e-mail address I gave to Scancom.

If you value the privacy of your e-mail address, think carefully before
signing up with Scancom.

Sounds like one of their PCs got a dose of a mass mailing virus which spoofs
the 'From' address with one it found in the machine's address book. Just
spent most of my day dealing with this little bundle of joy:
http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/content/v_129509.htm

Privacy Numbers - scam? Paul D UK Mobile Phones 6 November 17th 06 04:55 PM
Scancom: Spam warning David Glover UK Mobile Phones 0 July 6th 04 03:57 PM
Has anyone dealt with Scancom [cashback deals]? newman UK Mobile Phones 7 June 22nd 04 11:46 AM
Scancom.co.uk Scott UK Mobile Phones 0 September 11th 03 01:59 PM
Scancom? Jo3 UK Mobile Phones 3 September 8th 03 09:16 PM