Old March 7th 05, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Mobile - only needed for 2 months but international roaming needed

Hi,

Wondered if anyone might have some advice for me.

I'm going to need to buy a mobile phone to get me through a two month
period in the summer while I'm between jobs (have company mobile now
and new employer will provide one too).

Requirements:

* international roaming available (including texts) at sensible prices
- likely to be calling the UK quite a bit from Jamaica, Turkey and
possibly other places

* also light usage within the UK (including texts)

* cheap phone, nothing flash needed but must have bluetooth

* PAYG best for short periods? But do PAYG tariffs support roaming?

Any particularly good deals/retail outlets?

Actually I already own a Nokia 6600 (my own phone, not employer's)
which is unlocked and I believe is triband so should work ok in
Jamaica. Do I just buy a PAYG sim card? Where from though - never
done this before! What are the pitfalls?

Thanks,
AS.

Old March 7th 05, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 7 Mar 2005 06:46:49 -0800, Alan wrote:
[...]

Your best bet is probably Virgin Mobile, with monthly payment by direct
debit.

Contract-level roaming prices (PAYG are typically much higher), but no
minimum contract or faffing around trying to top up while abroad, and no
awkward callback mechanism.

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani MailStripper - http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk - Uncovers Everything!
Old March 7th 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Soruk" wrote in message
Your best bet is probably Virgin Mobile, with monthly payment by direct

Also have a look at www.oneroam.co.uk for a roaming sim card. 28p per minute
to call the UK from most destinations and free incoming roaming calls. The
only disadvantage is that your incoming number is based in Lichenstein which
is around 18p per minute to call from BT, less usng other carriers

Paul

Old March 7th 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Paul G" wrote in message
.. .

"Soruk" wrote in message
Your best bet is probably Virgin Mobile, with monthly payment by direct

Also have a look at www.oneroam.co.uk for a roaming sim card. 28p per
minute to call the UK from most destinations and free incoming roaming
calls. The only disadvantage is that your incoming number is based in
Lichenstein which is around 18p per minute to call from BT, less usng
other carriers

Paul

You might also want to take a look at http://www.buytel.com/travelfone/ -
I believe you can request a number in the country you intend using it in
the most but I'm not 100% sure.

Ivor

Old March 8th 05, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 7 Mar 2005 06:46:49 -0800, (Alan) wrote:

I'm going to need to buy a mobile phone to get me through a two month

[snip]

Have a look at Alan Summerfield's "UK Mobiles Prepaid Tariffs" page at
http://alan.uni-hd.de/Handy/UK_SIMs-ENGLISH.html which will give
information for the UK and an idea of roaming charges with Germany as
the example.

IMO, Virgin Mobile might be a good option.

Requirements:
* international roaming available (including texts) at sensible prices

Virgin seem do be better than average with roaming charges. They were
certainly cheaper for a recent trip to Australia and Singapore when
compared with the Orange PAYG and ED50 Contract plans I could have
used.

- likely to be calling the UK quite a bit from Jamaica, Turkey and
possibly other places

With Virgin you can roam in both Jamaica and Turkey.

* also light usage within the UK (including texts)

Calls:
15p a minute for the first five minutes of calls each day and 5p after
that. Mobiles from other network operators - 35p per minute

Texts:
Virgin Mobile phones within the UK - 3p
To mobiles on other UK networks & BT lines - 10p

* cheap phone, nothing flash needed but must have bluetooth

Cheapest new phone with Bluetooth from Virgin is currently 99.99 (or
minus the 15 'free' airtime = 84.99).

* PAYG best for short periods? But do PAYG tariffs support roaming?

Virgin PAYG and and Pay by Direct Debit both offer roaming.
PbDD is cheaper with roaming to additional countries.

Any particularly good deals/retail outlets?

Can't comment.

Actually I already own a Nokia 6600 (my own phone, not employer's)
which is unlocked and I believe is triband so should work ok in
Jamaica.

Correct - you will need Triband for Jamaica.

Do I just buy a PAYG sim card? Where from though - never
done this before! What are the pitfalls?

If Virgin suits your needs, just buy a PAYG SIM from the Virgin Mobile
website or a Virgin Megastore. It should work in the unlocked phone.

Register with Virgin if you wish for a bit more functionality
especially through their website.

--
Cheers,

Jason.