Old September 6th 03, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default It's time to complain to Ofcom

Orange are so mixed up. As anyone here would know I am failing in my
campaign to get Mobile Operators to not charge for answerphone retieval. If
you will pay for it and not complain, then you will continue to pay for it.
The operators gain twice; first when the message is left; second when it is
retieved. Anyway, put that aside.

What is the charge for calls to Orange answerphone outside your bundled
minutes ? Is it 12p/ minute or 5p/minute ? I know it's a simple point, but
companies should have clear and transparent charges. Orange do not. These
companies are afterall in the business of communication.

I called Orange customer services and was told the cost would be 5p/minute.
They sent me a booklet with all current costs, version 10, which states the
cost will be 5p/minute. But, when you go to their website, and eventually
find the information, you are told the cost will be 12p/minute. I ask, which
is correct ?

Of course, all this confusion would be removed if they did not charge.

Old September 6th 03, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

What are your reasons for not wanting them to charge for answerphone message
retreival ?
Im sure in the line of business you are in you are not expected to offer a
service for nothing.
I do however agree with you that the price should be clearly stated.

www.irwebonline.com
(MSN + Email)
TEL : 07740360253
--Mobile Phone Accessories--
Retail + Trade Supplier

Old September 6th 03, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Simon Birley" wrote in message
What are your reasons for not wanting them to charge for answerphone

message
retreival ?
Im sure in the line of business you are in you are not expected to offer a
service for nothing.
I do however agree with you that the price should be clearly stated.

Have you *ever* posted something helpful?
Please learn to trim, don't top post, and stop advertising here.

*plonk*

Old September 6th 03, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Oh - the expert speaks again, I'm amazed you have mentioned "check the
archives" yet as that seems to be the standard reply. I have never noticed
you post anything remotely sensible or helpfull.
You're another one for the BLOCK SENDER feature of Outlook Express.

Old September 6th 03, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Simon Birley" wrote in message
What are your reasons for not wanting them to charge for answerphone

message
retreival ?
Im sure in the line of business you are in you are not expected to offer

service for nothing.
I do however agree with you that the price should be clearly stated.

[Top post snipped]

But they are not offering a service for nothing, they get their money when
the caller leaves a message. Why should the recipient pay again to
retrieve it..?

Ivor

Old September 6th 03, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article ,
orange_is_best writes
Orange are so mixed up. As anyone here would know I am failing in my
campaign to get Mobile Operators to not charge for answerphone retieval. If
you will pay for it and not complain, then you will continue to pay for it.
The operators gain twice; first when the message is left; second when it is
retieved. Anyway, put that aside.

That's better than it used to be - back in analogue days, they could be
paid three times for the message! The caller would pay to leave it. You
would pay for the divert to answerphone, then pay again to retrieve it -
all with 1 minute minimum charges and then 30 second increments. A ten
second answerphone message could cost you a pound (50p for a one minute
divert to answerphone, 50p to pick it up), plus the caller paying
whatever their network charged them for the call to a mobile in the
first place.

At least now you have the option of using a network that doesn't charge
for answerphone retrieval, and none of them charge you for the deposit
(unless you are roaming and bounce the call on a conditional divert).

Matt
--
Matthew Haigh --
GCRSoft, providing SMS solutions since 1996...
Old September 6th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 15:35:28 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

What are your reasons for not wanting them to charge for answerphone

message
retreival ?
Im sure in the line of business you are in you are not expected to offer

service for nothing.
I do however agree with you that the price should be clearly stated.

[Top post snipped]

But they are not offering a service for nothing, they get their money when
the caller leaves a message. Why should the recipient pay again to
retrieve it..?

Of course on some talkplans (mine included) you don't pay to retrieve
from the Lemon answerphone.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old September 6th 03, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 15:38:23 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Well as I said a few weeks ago, I can't understand why people pay for
services which are free on other networks. Use Tmobile and voicemail is
FREE, Tmobile provide the same coverage in my experience of using a

phone in
the UK, despite what others will try and say.

Not here they don't..! I live within 12 miles of the centre of Birmingham
and get no signal whatsoever on T-Mobile. All other networks give me an
endstop signal..!

Perhaps if the OP wants *free* answerphone he could consider either an
OVP T-mobile tariff, or OVP Virgin if he's over 12 months with O.
Old September 6th 03, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"v155" wrote in message
Well as I said a few weeks ago, I can't understand why people pay for
services which are free on other networks. Use Tmobile and voicemail is
FREE, Tmobile provide the same coverage in my experience of using a phone

in
the UK, despite what others will try and say.

So? Some ISPs give you a free domain name. Others don't. Both "make" the
money from the other services anyhow. Should they be forced to all have the
same business model?

If you don't like the charging, disable your answerphone. Choose another
network. Complaining about a standard charge won't make one jot of
difference. For what it matters, nothing forces you to go listen to your
answer phone.

Something *worth* complaining about would be the still excessive charging
for things like cross-network calls, which are genuinely overpriced, and
non-transparent (or even remotely opaque) pricing from certain operators.
The former argument is still weak, but stronger than the answerphone debate.

Vince

Old September 6th 03, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"v155" wrote in message
Hello,
Tmobile provide the same coverage in my experience of using a phone in
the UK, despite what others will try and say.

LOL, Not in Norfolk they don`t, I coarse fish around Norfolk and my mate has
T-Mobile, lets just say he also has a Vodafone Pay&go handset aswell ;0)

Orange Complain UK Mobile Phones 3 August 28th 06 05:51 PM
Orange to charge for freephone numbers? - Complain to OFCOM ! Martin² UK Mobile Phones 5 October 14th 05 12:43 PM
Telecom Mast - where to complain? URGENT SmartMobileZone UK Mobile Phones 34 June 7th 05 08:55 AM
Who to complain to about the O2 website? Steven Sumpter UK Mobile Phones 10 November 17th 04 09:39 AM
Who do I complain to about this? Tristán White UK Mobile Phones 8 October 26th 04 12:20 PM