Old September 20th 03, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default P800 device lock (flip removed)

I've just got myself a P800 and I can't for the life of me work out how
to lock the thing with the flip open (so that I don't accidently set
appointments or browse the web in my pocket!) without using the flip on
the virtual keypad.

So I have a two and a half part question;

1. How do I lock/unlock the device more quickly and conveniently than
the following?

- tap "virtual keypad" icon
- tap "menu" key
- tap "OK" or "1"

- tap "OK"
- tap "*"
- tap "close virtual keypad" arrow

2. Is there any software (or combination of software) out there that
will let me press the blue key to lock the device (I don't need a
dedicated button for the web browser), and then when it's locked display
a clock and maybe the next three appointments or something; unlocking is
done either by holding the blue button down for a second or pressing the
jog dial in; something quick but not easy to do by accident.

Where would I start if I wanted to program something like this myself?
I'm OK with Java but have never programmed for a portable device. And
I'm on a Mac, which I understand makes things more difficult (swines).

Finally, is there any group more suited to questions specifically about
the UIQ OS, applications, etc? Or is this the best place to ask?

-z-

--
"After setting fire to my armpit hair, it stings if I put my arms
down so I have to type this standing up." PeterD, in ucsm.

Old September 20th 03, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
Ric Ric is offline

zoara wrote:
[...]

use the virtual flip and do it the way you'd turn the lock on with the
keypad. menu-lock keypad...not the most convenient (why not just have the
internet button mapped to this!) but it works.

Old September 21st 03, 02:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

[fixed top-posting]

Colin Mckechnie wrote:

"zoara" wrote in message

I've just got myself a P800 and I can't for the life of me work out how
to lock the thing with the flip open (so that I don't accidently set
appointments or browse the web in my pocket!) without using the flip on
the virtual keypad.

does it automatically? after x amount of seconds specified in a menu that
escapes me at present have a look in the manual

Um... no. The screensaver comes on, then the powersave comes on. At any
time, tapping the screen (accidently or on purpose) brings it back to
life, then any subsequent taps do things I don't want, without me being
aware of it.

I *did* read the manual, though perhaps I should have mentioned that. I
know many people don't! The closest to a screenlock I can find is the
device lock (requires pin to unlock, more of a PITA to unlock than the
virtual keypad) and the auto-lock with virtual keypad. As I mentioned, I
*don't* want to use the virtual keypad.

Is there any way to lock the screen
a) without using real or virtual keypad
b) so that it doesn't unlock in my pocket
c) so I can lock and unlock it with one or two hard-button clicks (ie no
stylus).

I want a lock that *doesn't* unlock in my pocket, but *doesn't* stop me
pulling out the phone and (say) taking a photo without faffing about for
ages with fiddly unlocks.

I think that makes it clear what I'm after; it doesn't seem too bizarre
a request If you need further clarification, please let me know!

-z-

Old September 21st 03, 02:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Ric wrote:

zoara wrote:
I've just got myself a P800 and I can't for the life of me work out
how to lock the thing with the flip open (so that I don't accidently
set appointments or browse the web in my pocket!) without using the
flip on the virtual keypad.

use the virtual flip and do it the way you'd turn the lock on with the
keypad. menu-lock keypad...not the most convenient (why not just have the
internet button mapped to this!) but it works.

I know it's not the most convenient - that's why I specifically asked
"how to lock the thing with the flip open [...] without using the
flip on the virtual keypad" and also listed the steps to lock/unlock via
virtual keypad and asked if there was a way that was quicker and easier
than that.

Am I not putting myself across properly? :|

I really can't stand spending a *lot* of money on something to find it's
missing certain obvious features; and I'm gobsmacked that the majority
of people then *accept* this lack of features, like spending a few
hundred quid on something that doesn't work very well is acceptable! Or
am I just a whinger?

Thanks for the help anyway

NB, is there any group more suited to questions specifically about the

Old September 21st 03, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
 is offline

zoara wrote:

NB, is there any group more suited to questions specifically about the
UIQ OS, applications, etc? Or is this the best place to ask?

Forums at -
All About Symbian:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB...forum.php?f=13
My-Symbian http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB...forum.php?f=13
You will need to register (free) to post/edit messages etc.

Old September 21st 03, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"zoara" wrote in message

[...]

Try a program called Handy Day. It is a little like the today screen on a
pocket PC. You can set it to start automatically and you can start it with
the blue button. When you set it to start with the blue button then you can
also use this as a lock; click it once to start Handy Day and then twice to
lock your phone. Click it twice again and your phone is unlocked. I have
used it for several months and I am very happy with the way it works. Click
on the link below for more information.
http://se-p800-software.epocware.com...Handy_Day.html

Darran West

c500 Device Lock Deag UK Mobile Phones 1 December 24th 04 02:11 PM
lock 1 and lock 2 Glenn UK Mobile Phones 0 November 25th 04 09:47 AM
Flip On - Flip Off P900? Kimball K Kinnison UK Mobile Phones 3 September 29th 04 11:36 AM
SE p800 replacement flip? Geoff Winkless UK Mobile Phones 0 September 16th 03 10:37 AM
SE p800 replacement flip? Geoff Winkless UK Mobile Phones 2 September 9th 03 10:10 AM