Old January 10th 08, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default N95-1 faster than N95 8GB

Any truth in this? I recently installed Quake on my Nokia N95 and
although I think it's absolutely spectacular, I can't figure out how to
save/load games. There doesn't appear to be a way of customizing the
keys for this.

While Googling for an answer, I came across somebody at YouTube
demonstrating Quake on their N95 8GB
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MlGv8IR-1M) , and somebody said...

"the classic N95 has better 3D performance... this is proved
and tested by many phone website =.= they reduced the performance
on the 8gb version to give us better batery lifetime..."

...and somebody else said:

"the n95 8gb is slower than n95-1 but nothing that will make
your game unplayable, you can see the diference just in benchmarks."

I'm surprised. I thought the battery performed better in the Nokia 8GB
because it's physically bigger...and of the Li-Polymer type maybe? (Not
sure about that last detail.) Did they really reduce the odd spec to
improve battery life too?
--
Walker Moore
(-_-),,|,

Old January 10th 08, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message ,
Gizmo. Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

"ChrisM" wrote in message
In message ,
Walker Moore Proclaimed from the tallest
tower:
Any truth in this? I recently installed Quake on my Nokia N95 and
although I think it's absolutely spectacular, I can't figure out how
to save/load games. There doesn't appear to be a way of customizing
the keys for this.

If this is true, that's amazing! It only seems a few years ago
(well, it WAS less than 10 years) that Quake was THE cutting edge 3D
game, requiring a state of the art computer, and now it runs on a
frikkin PHONE!!

I dont want to be the one that makes you feel old, but ... Quake
actually came out in 1996 - 12 years ago.
How time flies when you're having fun ;o)

I remember having to upgrade me graphics card to run Quake, and as
you say ... it now runs on a bloody phone !!

Well, your WERE the one that made me feel old!! :-)

12 Years ago!! Wow now that IS scary...
We used to have great multi-player sessions using the computers and network
at work (after hours, of course!). Usually 3-8 people playing. Quake was one
of the favourites, but I can remember we also played Doom, Duke Nukem and
something called ROTT (which was a little weird, but quite good fun)
Think it was Duke Nukem that had laser-trip-wire bombs which were great if
someone was chasing you... you could nip round a corner, stick the bomb to
the wall then retire to a safe distance and watch and laugh as your foe can
legging it round...

<sigh Ahh those were the days

Chris.
(Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)

Old January 10th 08, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"ChrisM" wrote in message
[...]

Hmm, the Multiplayer option is available. Must get my pal to install
this on his N95 and see if we can setup a multiplayer game via Wifi. I
guess we'd just need the IP address the DHCP server gives to each
handset...assuming it works.

Apparently a QuakeWorld port is in the works too.

I didn't realise until after I got my N95 that it has OpenGL hardware
acceleration, so I suppose it makes sense that games like this are possible.
--
Walker Moore
(-_-),,|,
Old January 10th 08, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:58:10 +0000, ChrisM wrote:

Think it was Duke Nukem that had laser-trip-wire bombs

Yep, that's the one.

--
<http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:42:16 up 5 days, 9:06, 2 users, load average: 1.61, 1.59, 1.55
Old January 14th 08, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"ChrisM" wrote in message
[...]

That was Duke 3D! - I remember stretching a (unsupported!) null modem cable,
made from a bit of phone cable across the road to my mates house for
multi -player! - it stayed up for a few months, then we took it down, cos it
was getting really windy!

Worked a treat!

Old January 14th 08, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message ,
Sparks Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

"ChrisM" wrote in message
[...]

That's the one! Remember we enjoyed playing it as it didn't take itself too
seriously (and it had semi-naked dancing girls in one or two of the
locations... :-) )

Old January 14th 08, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"ChrisM" wrote in message
[...]

:-)

"You wanna Dance?"