Old March 2nd 08, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Texting Mexico?

I'm sorting out PAYG SIM cards for future visitors, one of whom is from
Mexico.

I see from
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...ks.shop.sm065# -
- alias http://tinyurl.com/2v78e9 -- that it's not possible to text Mexico
from a Virgin mobile.

Does anyone know if there are any PAYG UK mobile networks that offer SMS to
Mexico?

Martin.

--
The call warning file -- play it to unwanted telemarketers?
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~syl/callwarning/

Old March 3rd 08, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

I see fromhttp://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=payasyougo...-
- aliashttp://tinyurl.com/2v78e9-- that it's not possible to text Mexico
from a Virgin mobile.

Does anyone know if there are any PAYG UK mobile networks that offer SMS to
Mexico?

sign up for one of the mobile Java programs that sends via data, like
smsbug, mobisms, voipbuster or vyke, costing 2 to a few cents, plus
about a penny data cost

Old March 3rd 08, 01:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 2008-03-02, Martin Sylvester wrote:
I'm sorting out PAYG SIM cards for future visitors, one of whom is from
Mexico.

I see from
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...ks.shop.sm065# -
- alias http://tinyurl.com/2v78e9 -- that it's not possible to text Mexico
from a Virgin mobile.

Does anyone know if there are any PAYG UK mobile networks that offer SMS to
Mexico?

3 does, as long as the person you are trying to text isn't an Iusacell
customer. I've sent texts to a Telcel phone from a 3 phone.

T-Mobile seems to, though they just say "Mexico" and don't break it
out by carrier. I don't know whether that means "all carriers" or
"at least 1 carrier".

Dennis Ferguson
Old March 3rd 08, 01:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 2008-03-02, Martin Sylvester wrote:
I'm sorting out PAYG SIM cards for future visitors, one of whom is from
Mexico.

I see from
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...ks.shop.sm065# -
- alias http://tinyurl.com/2v78e9 -- that it's not possible to text Mexico
from a Virgin mobile.

Does anyone know if there are any PAYG UK mobile networks that offer SMS to
Mexico?

3 does, as long as the person you are trying to text isn't an Iusacell
customer. I've sent texts to a Telcel phone from a 3 phone.

T-Mobile seems to, though they just say "Mexico" and don't break it
out by carrier. I don't know whether that means "all carriers" or
"at least 1 carrier".

Actually, for the T-Mobile bit, there's another page with carriers and
they only list Iusacell. That's not so good, Iusacell only has a 5% share
of the market.

Dennis Ferguson
Old March 3rd 08, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Very useful information. Thanks to andy and Dennis for their replies.

I can ask my visitor which network she might wish to text, and act
appropriately.

I'll also pass on the info about the SMS by data option, but if she ends up
borrowing my spare phone (if hers isn't tri-band), that won't work (it's a
Nokia 1100 -- no Java).

Martin.