Old July 5th 08, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Great idea for a new mobile network

1. Offer a cheap range of phones that are simple to use _as a phone_, no
teenage gimmicks like multimedia. Include large buttons and easy SMS.
2. Offer a minimal monthly charge + billing for calls on top. No need
for included minutes.

That's it.... Call it 'The Sensible Network'

--
Adrian C

Old July 5th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Adrian C" wrote in message
1. Offer a cheap range of phones that are simple to use _as a phone_, no
teenage gimmicks like multimedia. Include large buttons and easy SMS.
2. Offer a minimal monthly charge + billing for calls on top. No need
for included minutes.

That's it.... Call it 'The Sensible Network'

Good idea, but there's a flaw. Most people *aren't* sensible. It seems most
people like the idea of inclusive minutes contracts, even though they are
generally a rip-off.

My work contract phone is pretty much as you describe above. But some people at
work prefer to use their own personal mobiles instead, even though they are
paying about 15 a month for similar usage as I pay about 3 a month for!

--
Andy

Old July 5th 08, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In message
"Andy Pandy" wrote:

"Adrian C" wrote in message
1. Offer a cheap range of phones that are simple to use _as a phone_, no
teenage gimmicks like multimedia. Include large buttons and easy SMS.
2. Offer a minimal monthly charge + billing for calls on top. No need
for included minutes.

That's it.... Call it 'The Sensible Network'

Good idea, but there's a flaw. Most people *aren't* sensible. It seems most
people like the idea of inclusive minutes contracts, even though they are
generally a rip-off.

Really? Do we have that choice? What contract offers us no inclusive
minutes?

Dave
Old July 5th 08, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In ,
Dave Higton typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: In message

[snip]

:
: Really? Do we have that choice? What contract offers us no inclusive
: minutes?

PAYG..!

My Virgin SIM on DD is effectively a contract, but with no line rental or
inclusive minutes. Only charges are for calls made, think it was 69p last
month.

Ivor

Old July 5th 08, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Dave Higton wrote:
Really? Do we have that choice? What contract offers us no inclusive
minutes?

My Virgin OVP on Orange gives me exactly one of those minute-less
contracts. It suits me just fine.

Chris
Old July 5th 08, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Dave Higton wrote:
Really? Do we have that choice? What contract offers us no inclusive
minutes?

Virgin Direct Debit? Orange OVP Virgin? Both zero-pounds-per-month
'contracts'. There's no point paying a monthly fee if you get nothing in
return. If you want a handset on such 'contract' then buy one on your
credit card - just the same as paying monthly contract installments.

Neither will disconnect you if you don't use the phone for months. Both are
postpay with online billing (is that right for OVP?). Am I missing anything
else that contracts provide? Oh yes, a lockin period of 0 months.

Theo
Old July 6th 08, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Chris Davies" wrote in message
Dave Higton wrote:
Really? Do we have that choice? What contract offers us no inclusive
minutes?

My Virgin OVP on Orange gives me exactly one of those minute-less
contracts. It suits me just fine.
Chris

No longer available new, but old ones can be transferred.
They turn up occasionally on eBay

if you are worried about the number having been used,
and being called by the previous owners callers.
Port in a new PAYT number from a free sim

Steve Terry