Old August 28th 08, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Battery drain when mainting GPRS connection?

I have an application running on my mobile that sends a small amount of data
at a regular interval (say every 60s).

How much of an additional drain on the battery will it be to keep the
connection open between these intervals (but not sending any data) the whole
time the application is running, versus opening the connection sending the
data and closing the connection every 60s.
So in other words, how much of a drain is it on my battery to keep a GRPS
connection open? Is it anything like the battery drain to keep a voice
connection open?

Also, does anyone know roughly what the overhead in Bytes (or Kb) is to open
and close a GPRS connection?

Chris.
(Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)