Old July 14th 03, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default No line rental phone for use in Mexico?

I want to get a phone for use in Mexico (in an area where there now
appears to be adequate GSM coverage) but of course that means using a
tri-band phone, and I don't want to pay line rental as my usage doesn't
justify it.

I thought it would be an easy problem to solve, e.g. just get a new
tri-band handset and use my existing Orange OVP-Virgin SIM.
Unfortunately Orange UK don't have a roaming agreement in Mexico. (I
wonder what the Mexicans have against the UK, since they have roaming
agreements with Orange in France and many other countries.) The only
solution I've seen so far is getting a Virgin contract phone, but their
cheapest tri-band phones are 270 pounds, which I find rather excessive.
As far as I can see the "no line rental" Fresh deal from Carphone
Warehouse is a non-contract deal, so doesn't allow roaming. Does anyone
have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

--
Clive Page

Old July 14th 03, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Mexico has prepaid GSM which is far cheaper than roaming:

http://www.telcel.com/gsm/international/roaming2.htm

click on the amigo gsm link. It is in Spanish, but pretty easy to work
through.

Stu

"Matt S" wrote in message

"Clive Page" wrote in message
I want to get a phone for use in Mexico (in an area where there now
appears to be adequate GSM coverage) but of course that means using a
tri-band phone, and I don't want to pay line rental as my usage doesn't
justify it.

Just buy any unlocked triband phone (second hand, cheap, new, expensive-

it
doesn't matter) and then either buy a Virgin Sim and set up a DD on the
account to allow roaming OR buy a Mexican PAYG Sim when you are there (if
they exist).

The only real problem you have is deciding which triband phone to buy!