Old March 4th 11, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Capped Contract and Smartphone Heeeelp?

Hi -

Our teenage kids have phones with T-Mobile Solo. This is a sim-only deal,
for about 15pm they get a monthly allowance of 350 call mins & 350 sms
texts, and if they run out then they have to wait for the start of a new
month. I don't mind having that charged to my credit card, it's a
predictable, protected cost.

Rang T-Mobile today to move one of them over to a phone deal (the LG
Optimus Android handset) which was also about 15 pm. First hurdle was
that T-Mobile wanted a new 24m commitment, but fair enough they have
hardware costs to recover. Second hurdle was that they won't transfer the
biling protection - the new contract would commit me to paying for any call
charges over the bundled allocation, however utterly mad they may be. I
can't sign up to that - we have three of these phones, and the likelihood of
something going badly wrong is too high.

So the question(s) - Does any other phone company offer capped usage, or
allow me to specific a call limit per month? If they do, will they supply
an entry-level Android smartphone on that package for 15-20 pm?

TIA!

Old March 4th 11, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Steve Walker
writes
[...]

How about keeping the existing sim only deal and buying the hardware?

"Orange San Francisco, currently 89 on PAYG at Argos or 79 if an
existing Orange PAYG customer and know to ask for the discount from
Orange telephone sales. Trivially unlocked to any network for free
online and straightforward to de-brand and de-clutter. Reports of bugs
on wifi re-connection with some routers, hopefully to be solved by OS
upgrades. Highly recommended."

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5186620.htm

Unlock, average the 90quid over 24mths and you meet your target
15-20ppm.

Reflash to Android 2.2 avail.
--
fred
Old March 4th 11, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

fred wrote:
How about keeping the existing sim only deal and buying the hardware?

Or do that, and then a giffgaff 15 pound goodybag:
Unlimited internet
Unlimited texts
300 mins
or 20 quid for 600 mins.

Set your GG account to autotopup with one monthly topup and to automatically
buy the bundle, job done. If they overspend on mins, they can go to a shop
and buy a topup with their own money, or wait until the next month.

The advantage of this tariff is that internet is free - I don't know your
current deal, but smartphones are fairly large data users so do account for
that.

"Orange San Francisco, currently £89 on PAYG at Argos or £79 if an
existing Orange PAYG customer and know to ask for the discount from
Orange telephone sales. Trivially unlocked to any network for free
online and straightforward to de-brand and de-clutter. Reports of bugs
on wifi re-connection with some routers, hopefully to be solved by OS
upgrades. Highly recommended."

The wifi reconnection thing isn't sorted by some 2.2 upgrades, but grab
'blade wifi fix' from the Android Market and it's done. TBH, with free 3G
internet you don't need to bother with wifi unless you're in a 2G/0G area.

Reflash to Android 2.2 avail.

2.3 as well, though very alpha ATM.

Theo
Old March 4th 11, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , Steve Walker

So the question(s) - Does any other phone company offer capped
usage, or allow me to specific a call limit per month? If they
do, will they supply an entry-level Android smartphone on that
package for 15-20 pm?

How about keeping the existing sim only deal and buying the hardware?

"Orange San Francisco, currently 89 on PAYG at Argos

Thanks, but the current T-Mob Solo sim doesn't have internet service
enabled. Wouldn't that severely reduce the functionality?

Then don't use it, for a smartphone get a sim that's offers cheap data

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/g4wwk

Old March 4th 11, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Ah - the vital ingredient, protecting me from feckless teenage behaviour!

so a GG account cannot be "overdrawn" then? They can only spend what's
been credited?

Nope, it's PAYG. No pay, no go.

I think it's slightly better than that, in that with no credit you can still
call and text giffgaff phones for free. So if your phone is also giffgaff
you can still get the 'Daddy, can you pick me up from the station?' phone
calls, but they can't rack up any more bills.

Theo

Old March 4th 11, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Theo Markettos wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Ah - the vital ingredient, protecting me from feckless teenage behaviour!

so a GG account cannot be "overdrawn" then? They can only spend what's
been credited?

Nope, it's PAYG. No pay, no go.

I should add that I was suggesting GG with auto topup. That's a continuous
credit card authority, which does a topup when the balance goes low. But
they say you can restrict this to a number of times per month. I haven't
tried that, but that should mean any further spending causes the balance to
be firmly stuck at zero without additional topups.

Another advantage of GG is that out-of-bundle calls are sensibly priced
(8p/min) rather than being stung for additional contract mins (something
like 25p/min in some places I think). Ditto for international calls, 08xx,
etc.

Theo
Old March 5th 11, 03:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Theo Markettos wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Ah - the vital ingredient, protecting me from feckless teenage
behaviour!

so a GG account cannot be "overdrawn" then? They can only spend
what's been credited?

Nope, it's PAYG. No pay, no go.

I think it's slightly better than that, in that with no credit you
can still call and text giffgaff phones for free. So if your phone
is also giffgaff you can still get the 'Daddy, can you pick me up
from the station?' phone calls, but they can't rack up any more bills.
Theo

It's better than that, with GiffGaffs free 0800 you can call callthoughs
that have 0800 access

Or set up a 0800 number to your home phone for them to call.
Such as with:
http://www.numbergroup.com/

Steve Terry

Old March 5th 11, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , Zapp Brannigan
writes
fred wrote:
In article , Steve Walker

So the question(s) - Does any other phone company offer capped usage, or
allow me to specific a call limit per month? If they do, will they
supply an entry-level Android smartphone on that package for 15-20 pm?

How about keeping the existing sim only deal and buying the hardware?

"Orange San Francisco, currently 89 on PAYG at Argos

Thanks, but the current T-Mob Solo sim doesn't have internet service
enabled. Wouldn't that severely reduce the functionality?

Yes, for a teen I'm sure it would.

I'm sure you've been through this loop already but I just had a look for
T-Mob sim only deals at:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/sim-only/tariffs/

and noticed a 15.32 deal described as "30day (fixed)" which implies you
can't go over your monthly fee and can have a free 500MB 'Internet
Booster' added. 50 fewer texts than your current deal though.
--
fred
Old March 5th 11, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

fred wrote:

I'm sure you've been through this loop already but I just had a look for
T-Mob sim only deals at:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/sim-only/tariffs/

and noticed a 15.32 deal described as "30day (fixed)" which implies you
can't go over your monthly fee and can have a free 500MB 'Internet
Booster' added. 50 fewer texts than your current deal though.

Thanks to Fred, Steve & Theo - plenty of food for thought there, and I'll do
some browsing over the weekend