Old March 6th 11, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Heading to Spain and Italy, whats the best options

Im heading out to Lisbon, Spain and Italy for a couple of weeks, im on O2 at
the moment. Wondered if there was a good simm i can get to be able to make
and recieve calls at a very reasonable rate while in the two countries ? Not
bothered about keeping my nu ber so a new number is fine.
Appreciate any help and info

Old March 6th 11, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Joker" wrote in message
Im heading out to Lisbon, Spain and Italy for a couple of weeks, im on O2
at the moment. Wondered if there was a good simm i can get to be able to
make and recieve calls at a very reasonable rate while in the two
countries ? Not bothered about keeping my nu ber so a new number is fine.
Appreciate any help and info

For multiple countries within Europe Vodafone Passport is reasonable value
assuming you don't intend on making or receiving lots of short calls. 0.75
per call then you are charged the same rate as you would be at home.

www.vodafone.co.uk/passport

Paul

Old March 6th 11, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Joker wrote:
Im heading out to Lisbon, Spain and Italy for a couple of weeks, im on O2 at
the moment. Wondered if there was a good simm i can get to be able to make
and recieve calls at a very reasonable rate while in the two countries ? Not
bothered about keeping my nu ber so a new number is fine.

Either local SIM in each country, or a 'global' SIM. Global is often free
to receive, but costly to make calls. They may be worthwhile if you're
calling home a lot, or only have a few days in each country. Or try
Vodafone Passport.

Have a look at:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/operators.html
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/international.html

and also see the forum for specific country offers/tariffs/etc.

Theo
Old March 6th 11, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 06 Mar 2011 23:26:33 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

or a 'global' SIM. Global is often free
to receive, but costly to make calls. They may be worthwhile if you're
calling home a lot, or only have a few days in each country.

There are plenty of these "global" SIMs around, but do any of them
offer reasonable rates for mobile broadband connections while roaming?
Most of the ones I've looked at are for voice and text calls only.

Chris
Old March 7th 11, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Have a look at the o2 "my europe extra" bolt-on. It costs 10 for a
month and you are not charged for incoming calls.
http://www.o2international.co.uk/cal...ope_extra.aspx

There is also a special bolt-on for spain but I've never used it. I used
to have an O2 contract but have now moved to t-mobile. When I had the
contract, a text back to the UK would use up 4 from my normal allowance.
It is still the case for older contracts but not newer ones (the last
18-months?). Also if you have free o2 to o2 calls then that works OK as
well. When my son went around europe, he would either text or make a
short call and I would ring him back from my o2 contract mobile and the
call minutes just came out of my "free" allowance. Note him calling me
was not free!

I still keep an O2 PAYG SIM for use in europe as the "my europe extra"
bolt-on applies to PAYG as well.

Ian

In message , Joker
writes

Old March 7th 11, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Chris Blunt wrote:
There are plenty of these "global" SIMs around, but do any of them
offer reasonable rates for mobile broadband connections while roaming?
Most of the ones I've looked at are for voice and text calls only.

Some of them offer data, but at mind-bogglingly expensive prices (0044 is
GBP18/MB in Australia, for example). I think the underlying problem is that
wholesale charges for roaming data are still huge. The EU is supposedly
capping roaming data to (I think) 50p/MB so, for example, Latvian global
SIMs might be able to use this. But it's not really mobile broadband if the
meter's running up that fast.

Theo
Old March 7th 11, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Ian King" wrote in message
news
[...]

excellent thanks for all the info, i'll take a look at them all, especially
like the thought of keeping my number with the O2 bolt on!
cheers