Old June 1st 11, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default SIM card for use in USA

Hi,

A friend of mine is going to Florida for a couple of weeks soon and
needs to get a local SIM.

He already has a suitable unlocked handset.

Is it best to get one when he arrives or can he get from over here
before he goes?

Can any one suggest one / which networks to use ect ?

TIA

Old June 1st 11, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Rao Vantika wrote:

A friend of mine is going to Florida for a couple of weeks soon and
needs to get a local SIM.
He already has a suitable unlocked handset.

You've probably though it throuhg, but just in case, what bands does the
handset cover? USA uses 800/1900

a UK dualband will be 900/1800, so no coverage

a UK triband will be 900/1800/1900 so will give partial coverage

a quadband will give 800/900/1800/1900 which will give pick up all
network coverage.

Old June 1st 11, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Jun 1, 11:16*am, Andy Burns wrote:
Rao Vantika wrote:
A friend of mine is going to Florida for a couple of weeks soon and
needs to get a local SIM.
He already has a suitable unlocked handset.

You've probably though it throuhg, but just in case, what bands does the
handset cover? USA uses 800/1900

a UK dualband will be 900/1800, so no coverage

a UK triband will be 900/1800/1900 so will give partial coverage

a quadband will give 800/900/1800/1900 which will give pick up all
network coverage.

It covers GSM 900/1800, GSM 850/1900, UMTS 900/2100.

Old June 1st 11, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Rao Vantika wrote:

It covers GSM 900/1800, GSM 850/1900, UMTS 900/2100.

OK, as said previously, the 900/1800 count for naught, the 1900 will
give you some coverage, not sure which networks, the 850 is for South
America.

I think UMTS in North America is 1700/1900

Old June 1st 11, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 01/06/2011 10:55, Rao Vantika wrote:

Can any one suggest one / which networks to use ect ?

I think it very much depends on where you will be and who you wish to call.
I bough an AT&T GoPhone when I was there a couple of years ago as our
friends and family were with AT&T and it was therefore cheaper to call them.
You also need one with the correct location/number for where you will be
calling.
american phones have a 'local' code rather than a 'national' (07) code
that the UK has
We bought ours on eBay IIRC before we went and selected the correct area
code etc - that was one less hassle when we arrived

--
J B

Old June 1st 11, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Rao Vantika wrote:

A friend of mine is going to Florida for a couple of weeks soon and
needs to get a local SIM.
He already has a suitable unlocked handset.

You've probably though it throuhg, but just in case, what bands does the
handset cover? USA uses 800/1900

a UK dualband will be 900/1800, so no coverage

a UK triband will be 900/1800/1900 so will give partial coverage

a quadband will give 800/900/1800/1900 which will give pick up all
network coverage.

Well except CDMA and any residual AMPS.

Old June 1st 11, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Rao Vantika wrote:
Hi,
A friend of mine is going to Florida for a couple of weeks soon and
needs to get a local SIM.
He already has a suitable unlocked handset.
Is it best to get one when he arrives or can he get from over here
before he goes?
Can any one suggest one / which networks to use ect ?
TIA

Not tried it myself but many recommend T Mobile USA PAYG Sim
pre loaded with credit, available many places there.

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

Old June 2nd 11, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Rao Vantika wrote:

It covers GSM 900/1800, GSM 850/1900, UMTS 900/2100.

OK, as said previously, the 900/1800 count for naught, the 1900 will
give you some coverage, not sure which networks, the 850 is for South
America.

You're way off.

AT&T uses 850 and 1900 for voice.
T-Mobile uses 1900, and may use some 850 in roaming areas.

I think UMTS in North America is 1700/1900

Only T-Moble uses 1700.
Old June 12th 11, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 01/06/2011 20:43, Steve Terry wrote:
Rao Vantika wrote:
Hi,
A friend of mine is going to Florida for a couple of weeks soon and
needs to get a local SIM.
He already has a suitable unlocked handset.
Is it best to get one when he arrives or can he get from over here
before he goes?
Can any one suggest one / which networks to use ect ?
TIA

Not tried it myself but many recommend T Mobile USA PAYG Sim
pre loaded with credit, available many places there.

Yep, I've used that; very straightforward. Bought one on ebay from a US
dealer before I left home, to avoid having to waste time sourcing one
out there. NB need to make sure you don't get sold an expired one though.

David
Old June 14th 11, 06:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile
No Name

Bought a TMobile SIM in New York 2 weeks ago for 10$. Worked well and could
top up either with coupon bought from 1000s' of outlets or by credit card
following registration.