Old February 26th 13, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Are there other tablets which are also phones - like the Samsung Tab 2?

I have just bought a Samsung Tab 2 7.0 3G tablet, basically because I
found a review which told me that this tablet is also a phone. The
review said that this was *not* what all the shops/sellers told him
about it, they all said that there was no such thing as a tablet which
is also a phone.

I'm pleased with it (it's for my wife actually) as it seems to be
exactly what she wants.

I have always wanted such a device so I don't need to carry a netbook
(or tablet) *and* a phone around with me. So I'm probably in the
market for a second one, I have more time to hunt around and more time
to play with the device itself .... but less money really.

So, are there any other tablets around which are also phones? I might
go for something a bit larger than the 7" Samsung but I'm not quite
sure about that.

--
Chris Green

Old February 26th 13, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

In article , wrote:
I have just bought a Samsung Tab 2 7.0 3G tablet, basically because
I found a review which told me that this tablet is also a phone.
The review said that this was *not* what all the shops/sellers told
him about it, they all said that there was no such thing as a tablet
which is also a phone.

I've had that conversation and been told the same thing. I think a lot
of vendors don't realize that many 3g tablets have phone functionality
hinges on two facts:

1. (AFAICT) 3g iPads do NOT have phone functionality.
2. Most SIM cards sold for use with tablets don't support voice calls.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 *does* support voice calls (so point 2
above makes choosing a SIM card for it harder than it might be -- given
that I have a phone as well, do I want to spend more to get a SIM that
supports voice for the tablet for the rare occasions on which it might
be useful?)

So, are there any other tablets around which are also phones? I
might go for something a bit larger than the 7" Samsung but I'm
not quite sure about that.

It seems to be standard on 3g Samsung tablets ... I don't know about
other makes. Non-3g versions won't be phones, obviously.

Oddly the 3g version of the Samsung Galaxy camera doesn't seem to be
usable as a phone, though ... which is odd as that's small enough to be
usable as a phone.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Old February 27th 13, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote in message ...
[...]

Have a look at: -

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/smartphones...031207230.html

Old February 27th 13, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

.... and if you read it there's not a single, actual, tablet/phone
there, just a couple of big[gish] smartphones and a mention of the
Samsung 8" one with no information at all.

--
Chris Green
Old February 27th 13, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

(for it is he) wrote:

there's not a single, actual, tablet/phone there, just a couple of
big[gish] smartphones

Is there an official definition?

--
<http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:31:33 up 72 days, 22:03, 7 users, load average: 0.68, 0.71, 0.67

Old February 27th 13, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

alexd wrote:
(for it is he) wrote:

there's not a single, actual, tablet/phone there, just a couple of
big[gish] smartphones

Is there an official definition?

True! :-)

But all I could see were reports about 'phones' with 5" or 5.5"
screens, nothing at the 7" or above size.

--
Chris Green
Old February 28th 13, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote in message ...
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Samsung Galaxy S4 due out 15th March - 5.5" screen full HD