Old April 4th 13, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Nokia charging plate

I bought a charging plate (inductive charging unit) to go with my new
Nokia Lumia 820. I left it overnight and the charging light was still
on (indicating not fully charged - it blinks when fully charged) and
the battery was as a long way short of fully charged. I have tried it
again and after well over an hour the battery is only 45% charged.

I tried the standard charger and the battery reached 100%. The phone
and its battery must be okay, I assume.

Is the charging plate intended to perform a full charge? Is it
designed to take far longer to charge than the standard charger? Or
does it sound as though the charging plate is faulty.

Old April 5th 13, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 04/04/2013 21:41, Scott wrote:
I bought a charging plate (inductive charging unit) to go with my new
Nokia Lumia 820. I left it overnight and the charging light was still
on (indicating not fully charged - it blinks when fully charged) and
the battery was as a long way short of fully charged. I have tried it
again and after well over an hour the battery is only 45% charged.

I tried the standard charger and the battery reached 100%. The phone
and its battery must be okay, I assume.

Is the charging plate intended to perform a full charge? Is it
designed to take far longer to charge than the standard charger? Or
does it sound as though the charging plate is faulty.

Haven't used one myself - but searching found this for the 920:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Noki...0/td-p/1641140

Suggests that whilst wireless charging is slower than a wired charger, 3
hours should be sufficient for a 0-100% charge. Certainly overnight
should be enough.

Is it charging at all? Does the charge level go up on the charging
plate, even if slowly? If not, make sure the phone's cover is on
correctly - remote, but could the rear cover's internal pads not be
making connection with the back of the phone?

Old April 5th 13, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

"Scott" wrote in message
I bought a charging plate (inductive charging unit) to go with my new
Nokia Lumia 820. I left it overnight and the charging light was still
on (indicating not fully charged - it blinks when fully charged) and
the battery was as a long way short of fully charged. I have tried it
again and after well over an hour the battery is only 45% charged.

I tried the standard charger and the battery reached 100%. The phone
and its battery must be okay, I assume.

Is the charging plate intended to perform a full charge? Is it
designed to take far longer to charge than the standard charger? Or
does it sound as though the charging plate is faulty.

It will be slower and a lot less inefficient.

Old April 5th 13, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 09:42:05 +0100, David Hearn
wrote:

[...]

No, it does not seem to be charging at all. Left on for 24 hours now
and only showing 31% charge. It charged to 100% with standard charger
so I assume the battery cannot be faulty.

There could be a problem with the internal pads but I am a bit
reluctant to remove the back of the phone as it seems to be a very
fiddly job. I may have a go or ask the Vodafone shop to look for me.

Curiously, the charger light is glowing continuously which is supposed
to show successful charging. If the internal pads are disconnected
would that not mean no current transferred and therefore an error
message (flashing lights)?
Old April 5th 13, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

You haven't mentioned it, but your comment about being reluctant to remove
the back suggests that perhaps your phone isn't fitted with the optional
accessory "Wireless Charging Shell for Lumia 820"
<http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/products/accessory/cc-3041/ - without which
the "Nokia Wireless Charging Plate"
<http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/products/accessory/dt-900/ won't work with
your handset
<http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/products/phone/lumia820/specifications/

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Old April 6th 13, 08:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

wrote:

[...]

Thank you ever so much. You have just saved me an unnecessary trip to
the Vodafone shop and the embarrassment of engaging in uninformed
discussion.

However, it seems to me that Nokia are being a bit economical with the
truth when they say in
http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/products/accessory/dt-900/

"Fed up with fiddling with connectors and wires when charging your
phone? We’ve made it as easy as pie. Simply put your phone down on the
plate. That’s all you have to do. A light indicator shows you when
your phone is fully charged and ready to take away."
Old April 6th 13, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:
On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 22:35:06 +0100, Whiskers
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

You need to check your phone. When I took the back off my 820 (splitting
nails on the way) I found my back was already a CC-3041 which was a bit
of a surprise as I thought it would be an extra.

Old April 6th 13, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 12:17:51 +0100, Rupert Moss-Eccardt
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 22:35:06 +0100, Whiskers
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Interesting .... Maybe a trip to Vodafone after all (so the split
nails are not mine!). Is there any way of knowing from the outside.

The odd feature is that the charging light (on the charging plate)
comes on when the phone is place there, which suggests a transfer is
taking place, but the phone does not acquire any charge.
Old April 6th 13, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Scott wrote:
On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 12:17:51 +0100, Rupert Moss-Eccardt
wrote:

Scott wrote:

[snip]

You need to check your phone. When I took the back off my 820 (splitting
nails on the way) I found my back was already a CC-3041 which was a bit
of a surprise as I thought it would be an extra.

Interesting .... Maybe a trip to Vodafone after all (so the split
nails are not mine!). Is there any way of knowing from the outside.

Not that I know of. The packaging didn't indicate either way, not did
any of the paperwork. Of course I don't know if the non-charging back
looks different but there is nothing obvious on the outside to indicate
it is a wireless charging back.

Old April 7th 13, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 06:22:11 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

Rupert Moss-Eccardt considered Sat, 06
Apr 2013 13:02:07 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Scott wrote:
On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 12:17:51 +0100, Rupert Moss-Eccardt
wrote:

Scott wrote:

[snip]

You need to check your phone. When I took the back off my 820 (splitting
nails on the way) I found my back was already a CC-3041 which was a bit
of a surprise as I thought it would be an extra.

Interesting .... Maybe a trip to Vodafone after all (so the split
nails are not mine!). Is there any way of knowing from the outside.

Not that I know of. The packaging didn't indicate either way, not did
any of the paperwork. Of course I don't know if the non-charging back
looks different but there is nothing obvious on the outside to indicate
it is a wireless charging back.

Maybe it was fitted in error, and you should have had a normal back?
It would explain the lack of information on the packaging and
paperwork.

Bizarrely, the user guide says the cover may be included in the sales
box or it may be available separately, which seems a bit random.