UK Mobile Phones (uk.telecom.mobile) Mobile telephone equipment and networks.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old April 18th 13, 02:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Default Mobile Phones - Battery Life

In message , Fevric J. Glandules
writes
Bill wrote:

What depresses me is the price. I bought this at 30, the second one was
40 and they now seem to be 70 or 80, which is ludicrous for a basic
phone.

I've been into quite a few phone shops over the years because of
daughter, phones and the bath, and am always amazed by the lack of
choice for basic models.


Try a supermarket instead:
http://www.tesco.com/direct/sim-free...ack/326-4349.p
rd?skuId=326-4349&pageLevel= Nineteen quid.

which I found from he
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08...iors/print.htm
l


That Tesco site for the Nokia 100 says

Power
Standby Time (hrs) 840
Talk Time (hrs) 432

which surely cannot be right.

And I went to Tesco looking for a clamshell phone. They had nothing
suitable.

And I have a Sony Xperia which is great for listening to internet radio
at home via wifi, but would be hopeless carried round in my pocket with
the keys, coins, tape measure etc etc. Its battery lasts 48 hours at
most, and it never makes a phone call.
--
Bill

  #12   Report Post  
Old April 18th 13, 03:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Default Mobile Phones - Battery Life

On 18/04/2013 15:55, Bill wrote:
In message , Fevric J. Glandules
writes
Bill wrote:

What depresses me is the price. I bought this at 30, the second one was
40 and they now seem to be 70 or 80, which is ludicrous for a basic
phone.

I've been into quite a few phone shops over the years because of
daughter, phones and the bath, and am always amazed by the lack of
choice for basic models.


Try a supermarket instead:
http://www.tesco.com/direct/sim-free...ack/326-4349.p
rd?skuId=326-4349&pageLevel= Nineteen quid.

which I found from he
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08...iors/print.htm
l


That Tesco site for the Nokia 100 says

Power
Standby Time (hrs) 840
Talk Time (hrs) 432

which surely cannot be right.

And I went to Tesco looking for a clamshell phone. They had nothing
suitable.

And I have a Sony Xperia which is great for listening to internet radio
at home via wifi, but would be hopeless carried round in my pocket with
the keys, coins, tape measure etc etc. Its battery lasts 48 hours at
most, and it never makes a phone call.



Standby time (2G): 609.3 h
Talk time (2G): 6.7 h

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/phones/ph...pecifications/

--
Rod
  #13   Report Post  
Old April 18th 13, 03:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jan 2006
Posts: 783
Default Mobile Phones - Battery Life

In uk.d-i-y Martin Brown wrote:
A quick survey of classic mobile phones gives me the following
candidates (but it is hard work finding talk/standby hours).

Ranked in order of battery life (and probable robustness)
Talk Standby / hours
Samsung XCover 19 1000
Samsung GT S5260 II 7 900
Nokia Asha201 7 890 (alpha keypad)
Nokia 206 20 680
Nokia C5 12 600
Nokia C7 5 650


Nokia 105:
talk 12.5
standby 842
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...1133526/review
and apparently GBP13, though I'm not sure you can buy it yet.

Theo
  #14   Report Post  
Old April 18th 13, 03:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Apr 2013
Posts: 197
Default Mobile Phones - Battery Life

On 18/04/2013 16:13, Theo Markettos wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Martin Brown wrote:
A quick survey of classic mobile phones gives me the following
candidates (but it is hard work finding talk/standby hours).

Ranked in order of battery life (and probable robustness)
Talk Standby / hours
Samsung XCover 19 1000
Samsung GT S5260 II 7 900
Nokia Asha201 7 890 (alpha keypad)
Nokia 206 20 680
Nokia C5 12 600
Nokia C7 5 650


Nokia 105:
talk 12.5
standby 842
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...1133526/review
and apparently GBP13, though I'm not sure you can buy it yet.

Theo


BINGO!! Thanks Theo - that looks like it should hit the spot.
(and at that price it is easy enough to take a punt on it)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
  #15   Report Post  
Old April 18th 13, 03:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Aug 2008
Posts: 546
Default Mobile Phones - Battery Life

On 18/04/2013 15:43, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:11:46 on Thu, 18 Apr
2013, chris remarked:
Got SWMBO an HTC Wildfire last year. It came preloaded with Facebook,
and
unless you go through some quite technical hoops, it can't be removed.


I wouldn't recommend that. I had one and it needed charging every day
to ensure it didn't run out of juice. I didn't use it very heavily.


If you disable GPS, wifi and 3G (use just 2G) and attach a "pregnant"
battery, it'll last a week. Probably; mine does.


Kind of defeats having a smartphone, though. Useful to know, however, as
I've passed it onto my wife.

I used it primarily for 3G and wifi, she won't.


  #16   Report Post  
Old April 18th 13, 03:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Default Mobile Phones - Battery Life

On Apr 18, 4:22*pm, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 18/04/2013 16:13, Theo Markettos wrote:









In uk.d-i-y Martin Brown wrote:
A quick survey of classic mobile phones gives me the following
candidates (but it is hard work finding talk/standby hours).


Ranked in order of battery life (and probable robustness)
* * * * * * * * * * * * *Talk * *Standby / hours
Samsung XCover * * * * *19 * * *1000
Samsung GT S5260 II * * *7 * * * 900
Nokia Asha201 * * * * * *7 * * * 890 *(alpha keypad)
Nokia 206 * * * * * * * 20 * * * 680
Nokia C5 * * * * * * * *12 * * * 600
Nokia C7 * * * * * * * * 5 * * * 650


Nokia 105:
talk 12.5
standby 842
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...okia-105-11335...
and apparently GBP13, though I'm not sure you can buy it yet.


Theo


BINGO!! Thanks Theo - that looks like it should hit the spot.
(and at that price it is easy enough to take a punt on it)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown


I got a Nokia 201 recently (40) and have been seriously impressed by
how long I get without having to charge it. My requirements were much
like the OP's and it has satisfied them with the only drawback being
that it pushes the width of the phone pocket in my jacket a bit.

Rob
  #17   Report Post  
Old April 18th 13, 03:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jan 2006
Posts: 783
Default Mobile Phones - Battery Life

In uk.telecom.mobile Martin Brown wrote:
BINGO!! Thanks Theo - that looks like it should hit the spot.
(and at that price it is easy enough to take a punt on it)


And a note about the Samsungs... I don't know the XCover and whatever OS it
runs, but I've used their CDMA featurephones (SGH-something) which look a
bit like the E1200. The OS drove me up the wall - simple things like
turning off the keypad tones seemed to be impossible, so my pocket made
beeping sounds as I walked around. And they have a navpad where the central
click doesn't do anything - you have to press a separate button to the left
to accept/OK/whatever. A truly horrid experience, and I was happy to get
back to a basic Nokia asap.

Theo
  #18   Report Post  
Old April 18th 13, 04:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Default Mobile Phones - Battery Life

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

It is likely to be used a lot in regions of poor 2G signal coverage and
so when in use will be transmitting at or near maximum power.



Get an old 6310? Probably the best phone I've ever used for reception.

No fancy internet or anything, just a solid phone. Probably why they still
demand decent money :-(

http://www.nokia6310i.co.uk/

(never used these people btw, no idea on how good/bad they might be!)

Darren

  #19   Report Post  
Old April 18th 13, 04:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 17
Default Mobile Phones - Battery Life

On 18/04/2013 11:33, Martin Brown wrote:

Thanks for any enlightenment.


Got a Samsung GT-C3350. Battery life is _weeks_. Supposed to be
waterproof, though I haven't tested it.

Andy
  #20   Report Post  
Old April 18th 13, 05:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by MobileBanter: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
Default Mobile Phones - Battery Life

Martin Brown wrote:
I can't be the only one that needs a compact robust mobile phone that
doesn't need recharging every day and does the basics very well.


Thanks for any enlightenment.



Nokia 105?

Tim


Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T-Mobile N95 - Very bad battery life AntiSpamBloke UK Mobile Phones 14 August 6th 07 04:53 PM
Current phones with a sensible battery life Tim Bradshaw UK Mobile Phones 3 July 2nd 04 09:29 AM
Cam phones battery life? Darren UK Mobile Phones 3 January 20th 04 04:05 PM
Longest Battery Life Mobile? Zak Dingle UK Mobile Phones 13 November 23rd 03 08:24 PM
3G phones -any reason they have to be bricks with rubbish battery life? Gav UK Mobile Phones 11 August 29th 03 02:31 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 Mobile Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about UK mobile phones"

 

Copyright © 2017