Old May 1st 13, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Default Orange OVP - how often does it have to be used to stay active?

I have an old phone with an Orange OVP SIM in it - which I'd like to
keep for emergencies.

Does anyone know how often you have to use it to stop Orange disabling
the SIM and giving someone else the number? And is it sufficient to
receive a call/text, or does it have to make one? I have a vague
recollection this has been discussed on this group before, but I
couldn't find the thread, and of course the Orange website is no use at all.

--
Clive Page

Old May 1st 13, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Clive Page wrote:
I have an old phone with an Orange OVP SIM in it - which I'd like to keep for emergencies.

Does anyone know how often you have to use it to stop Orange disabling
the SIM and giving someone else the number? And is it sufficient to
receive a call/text, or does it have to make one? I have a vague
recollection this has been discussed on this group before, but I couldn't
find the thread, and of course the Orange website is no use at all.

Well, I've left mine at least 3 years without using it and it still keeps
on working. They really do seem to be indefinite.

Tim
Old May 1st 13, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 01/05/2013 15:07, Clive Page wrote:
I have an old phone with an Orange OVP SIM in it - which I'd like to
keep for emergencies.

Does anyone know how often you have to use it to stop Orange disabling
the SIM and giving someone else the number? And is it sufficient to
receive a call/text, or does it have to make one? I have a vague
recollection this has been discussed on this group before, but I
couldn't find the thread, and of course the Orange website is no use at
all.

I don't think there *is* a limit. Because you pay monthly[1] in arrears,
it's not the same as a PAYG phone - which has a credit balance which
gets zapped if you don't use it.

[1] Or, at any rate, in those months where there is some chargeable
activity. As often or not, my bill is zero. If I have two zero months in
a row, they don't bother to send a bill in the second month.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old May 1st 13, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 01/05/2013 19:14, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Can anyone give a list of PAYG limits for different networks
My wife is a very occasional user and TMobile once cut her off without
notice. After much argument they transferred her balance to my number.
Derek

Old May 2nd 13, 05:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

Derek F wrote:
[...]

Virgin PAYG sims used to last almost indefinitely but that boat has sailed
now and they cut those off if they're unused just like the other networks.
They may be better than the other companies still, but in general, you just
can't rely on a PAYG sim being active if you're not prepared to use it.

Tim

Old May 2nd 13, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 02/05/2013 06:05, Tim+ wrote:
Derek F wrote:
[...]

Tesco have a LITE rate low user PAYG rate that they say that they do not
cut off.
Derek
Old May 3rd 13, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On Thu, 02 May 2013 12:13:20 +0100, Derek F wrote:

Tesco have a LITE rate low user PAYG rate that they say that they do not
cut off.
Derek

We have one of those as a car 'glove box' phone. I must admit that we do send
a short text every six months to ensure it stays connected.
Old May 8th 13, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 01/05/2013 19:14, Roger Mills wrote:
I don't think there *is* a limit. Because you pay monthly[1] in arrears,
it's not the same as a PAYG phone - which has a credit balance which
gets zapped if you don't use it.

One problem I can predict is that Orange charges go via by direct debit
and I know (from an unfortunate experience with a little-used credit
card some years ago) that after 13 months a direct debit mandate expires
if unused, and you have to set it up again manually. They might cut you
off if they didn't get paid, inadvertently.

--
Clive Page
Old May 8th 13, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/05/2013 10:47, Clive Page wrote:
On 01/05/2013 19:14, Roger Mills wrote:
I don't think there *is* a limit. Because you pay monthly[1] in arrears,
it's not the same as a PAYG phone - which has a credit balance which
gets zapped if you don't use it.

One problem I can predict is that Orange charges go via by direct debit
and I know (from an unfortunate experience with a little-used credit
card some years ago) that after 13 months a direct debit mandate expires
if unused, and you have to set it up again manually. They might cut you
off if they didn't get paid, inadvertently.

I think I use mine often enough to avoid that - just!
--
Cheers,
Roger